• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2017: at bare minimum

Hi all!
I've decided to open my glog that year too... I wasn't sure to open it since it will be an humble one, not many peppers, just the ones needed...
All seed from Semillas.

I've started 10 Rocoto Cap 363 on 1st january, because i managed to lose one, after a 2 days soak. Today i have my first sprout!
Other seeds i have to start (about 11 per type): 7pod primo orange, Avenir, Serrano and Zuzqua (whatever that is). I guess i start first and second on next weekend and the others in the first february weekend.

That's pretty much all for now, photos when there's something interesting to see.
I guess that year i'll post some pics of mountains and still some of pizza.

Now i go to hang my light, earlier than expected, i thought CAP 363 would have taken longer! :D

Essegi said:
Hi all!
I've decided to open my glog that year too... I wasn't sure to open it since it will be an humble one, not many peppers, just the ones needed...
All seed from Semillas.

I've started 10 Rocoto Cap 363 on 1st january, because i managed to lose one, after a 2 days soak. Today i have my first sprout!
Other seeds i have to start (about 11 per type): 7pod primo orange, Avenir, Serrano and Zuzqua (whatever that is). I guess i start first and second on next weekend and the others in the first february weekend.

That's pretty much all for now, photos when there's something interesting to see.
I guess that year i'll post some pics of mountains and still some of pizza.

Now i go to hang my light, earlier than expected, i thought CAP 363 would have taken longer! :D
Good to see you posting my friend. Best of luck this season and I am looking forward to seeing your food pictures! Happy new year

Thanks all a lot for your warm reception! :D

D3monic said:
Zuzqua is a interesting name. I'll have to look it up. Sounds african or something. Good luck with your grow this season.
I haven't found out much really. I asked Peter to clarify but i ddin't got a reply, i'll have to look that myself.

Trident chilli said:
Good luck for 2017 Giancarlo ... Avenir a nice choice
Cool, i picked it instead of Datil (that is my must for 2018). :)

Btw another hook today!

Well, here it's a bit cold... On that night Marcesina (i spoke about that on my previous glog) went to -24°C...
Today at 9am it was -6°C near my home...
The incredible stuff is that there's no frost because usually here it's really, really wet.

Also today i took a trip to Tovel lake to test my new trekking boots. And with all excellent brands of my place (Scarpa, Aku, La Sportiva, Garmont, Gronell, Tecnica, Dolomite, Lowa, Asolo, Zamberlan, Crispi, Andrew Shoes, just to name most famous) i had to pick Meindl that are german... But perfect for my bad feet.
I passed through Asiago till Adamello Brenta natural park, in the west side of Dolomites where the lake is located. No signs of snow or frost and we were almost alwyas below 0°C while travelling. I am planning to take a course of snow trekking, but if snow is missing...
Until 1964 part of that lake turned red on summer for an algae that is no more...

As expected i'm really bad at taking panoramas...

No snow, but some ice:
kqS4TH.jpg

aIN60R.jpg

Looks dangerous!

Here the frozen lake:
7a5CIE.jpg

dJNm7U.jpg

Looks much better if you see it yourself. Or on google.

pX1tqW.jpg

Random shot of a stream...

dtcw65.jpg

That was near Cles, not far from Melinda consortium on Val Di Non. So i guess that are all apples.

Welcome back Giancarlo!

Good luck this season and, keep those great pics coming. You live in a spectacular part of the world.

One of these days I'll get to visit the land of my ancestors ;)

Good start to your 2017 season, Giancarlo!  
Sixty percent is pretty good when you only
need a few plants.  I'm sure there are more
to come!

Really looking forward to your photos this year.  
That pic looking up at the ice-cicles is totally
awesome.  Very unique perspective.

Thanks Paul and Scott!
Paul, you were right!
More popped!

WnDPr5.jpg

So i went from 6/10 to 9/11.
See glass on upper left? The lost seed probabiy is here. Now there's some plastic to space sprouts, i'll try to save both.
I've never had a germ ratio so high. And i got it with rocoto.
I calculated that i'd be able to germinate half seeds... Space will be at the limit. The problem is that i can't give away plant too small. Maybe i'll give away just after first re pot.

Also i am soaking from yesterday Avenr and 7pod primo orange, tomorrow i'll start them too.

Keep reading if you want to discover maybe the most criminally unknown place of my city.
I went to Calà del Sasso.
What's that? It's the longest stair of Italy and one of the biggest in the world. For sure one of the coolest too.
Link at italian wiki translated (eng page is just too meager):
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fit.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCal%25C3%25A0_del_Sasso&edit-text=&act=url

Cool stuff:
  • 4444 steps
  • 7km long
  • 744m  ascension
  • about 600-700 years old
  • once used to transport trunks downhill
  • there's a fabled story with a legend

It's a bit more than 1 hour of car from my home and very few people even here knows about it.
A famous writer reporter wrote great article calling it "long as the purgatory and dark as the storm".
http://www.sassodiasiago.it/nuova_pagina_15.htm

Contrary to last week that time there was some snow... So i didn't walk all the stair. Probably i didn't reach even half... Going on it was more steep, and steps were in worse shape... So at a certain point i just turned back.
When snow melts i'll walk it all.

Here the path that leads to Calà
L1X7mh.jpg

Again ice, it's cool:
VDYzuG.jpg

Here Calà starts:
nsvdo5.jpg

At first is well mantained and it's easy to go on.
oSpuyH.jpg

Yet after a while there were only animal traces going along.

Here it was a bit more difficult...
fJHCnz.jpg

At that point i turned back, i was't sure to recognize steps...

While returning i met some people with a nice dog:
pICNi4.jpg

He really enjoyed the snow!

New boots:
HFU40t.jpg

I'm really satisfied with those (for sure not cheap, but worth it :D).

I managed to save both Cap 363, i put each of them in a glass and now they are healthy! No more sprouts from that one but i really can't complain.

So i started 12 Avenir and 11 Primo Orange sunday...
Today i've had 1 or maybe 2 hooks of Avenir (not really sure if 1 is really an hook)! Not bad after 5 days!

Current stuff:

oknvgr.jpg

Time to post pizza.
Experiment with type 1 flour (rougher, healthier, more substantial and nourishing than standard flour, less suitable for pizza, but it's still a nice compromise)
hydro about 65% or a bit more:

5BmF19.jpg

ACNqE0.jpg

To be honest it looked bad and was a bit crunchy on the surface. Consistence was marvellous though.

Out of interest: though now it's a bit hotter, in Vicenza last week has been nearly -32°C in a place of Asiago (Dolina Campoluzzo, 1768m from sea, in Lozze mountain, near famous Ortigara).

Essegi said:
To be honest it looked bad and was a bit crunchy on the surface. Consistence was marvellous though.

Pizza looks amazing.  We love using gritty whole grain flours.  It's something about the mush of the tomato and cheese contrasting crunch and grit of the crust.   :drooling:   

Back