• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First time glogging, first time in a real garden

Welcome to my glog! This is my first time documenting a season and I'm looking forward to seeing my garden develop and learn as much as possible along the way.
After my little balcony grow last season I decided to get an allotment. Sadly it had been neglected for over 4 years so there was quite some work to be done.

Before:

Halfway there:

Still need to take a picture of the finished place.

Thinking about doing 1/3-1/2 peppers and rest "normal" veg + the plum tree that's already there.

Here's my growlist so far:
Aji lemon drop
Aji ahuacapan
Jays peach ghost scorpion
Chocolate bhutlah
Nagabrains red
Cheiro creme
Fidalga amarillo
Aji pineapple
Wartryx VA
Gator jigsaw (Thanks moruga welder!)
Scorpernero (Thanks d3monic!)
D3monic goat ( Thanks d3monic!)
Habalokia peach lavalamp f2

Plus some overwinters:
Fatalii chocolate
Jamaican hot chocolate
Bhut jolokia purple

Will be updating with more pictures soon!

Thanks for dropping by.
-Folkert

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone, really looking forward to this new chapter in my pepper and gardening habbit.
juanitos said:
looks good, you will have a real hard time with weeds in a few months.
should think about plasticulture / lots of mulching.
Agreed, will probably keep me busy for quite some time. Took out loads of roots during cleanup and tilling but am sure there will be some stuborn ones showing up. Thought about plasticulture and mulching but thought I would need a longer period of time for it to break down all the weeds. Especially since there is years of weeds in there. Perhaps I could try that after this winter to help clean the soil?

Nice job cleaning up the plot! Being fallow for several years just may be a plus ;)

Good luck this season!

Excellent work getting that garden
plot whipped into shape, Neel!
That's no easy task...

I agree with Jonathan, mulching is a
good idea whether fabric or organic

Will definetely do some mulching. I have 1 question regarding how many plants i should plant, right now I have 17 plants in various stages of pregrowth/overwintering. Got about 10 more seeds germinating. The piece of land reserved for peppers is about 16,5 by 24,5 feet. Could I stick some more in there or should I leave it at this count. 

If plants are three feet on center, that would mean
roughly 40 plants, maybe 50 if you plant on the perimeter.  
More of less depending on the size of the varieties. 4 feet
on center would be around 24 plants, maybe 35ish planting
on the edges and corners.  You could probably add a few to
the 27 you've got going.  

That being said, it's nice to have some space to get around
between the plants.

PaulG said:
If plants are three feet on center, that would mean
roughly 40 plants, maybe 50 if you plant on the perimeter.  
More of less depending on the size of the varieties. 4 feet
on center would be around 24 plants, maybe 35ish planting
on the edges and corners.  You could probably add a few to
the 27 you've got going.  

That being said, it's nice to have some space to get around
between the plants.

Thanks! I had 30-35 in mind for my first try so I'll get a few more seeds going. Don't want to overcrowd the garden, my balcony grow last summer ended with me having to crawl around to water the plants. 

That's a ton of work clearing that patch, great things are in your growing future.

Congrats on the new space, looks great. :cheers:

Three dozen plants will keep you plenty busy, Neel.

Have fun picking the next round of seeds!

Small update and some pictures.

Because I'm impatient I started some seeds before the previous season even really ended so some of my babies have gotten bigger. Had a small run in with those aphid bastards but I think I have the situation under control now. My aji lemon drop is already producing pods on the windowsill. Ate 3 earlier and loved them, more are on the way and also the aji ahuacapan is starting to produce after a period of flower dropping. The JPGS have loads of flowers but keep dropping them. 

Some pictures:

Fatalii chocolate and jamaican hot chocolate overwinters.

2 JPGS, 2 lemon drop, 1 chocolate bhutlah and 1 ahuacapan.

2 bhut jolokia purple overwinters.

Some other plants on their way. 

My grow setup might be quite amateuristic and low budget but so far it has been working out ok if you ask me.

Final pictures:

Lemon drop

Love the look of the flowers on the ahuacapan.

I like your macro lens pictures there, especially the light shining through the lemon drop - makes it look very tasty somehow. Awesome that you are getting pods.

Keep up the good work!

These weren't even shot with a macro lens. Have been wanting to get one but it would cost me 300 euros. Didn't want it as much after that haha!

Small update on the growlist, sadly none of my gator jigsaw seeds germinated. Added some extra d3monic goat's, habalokia lavalamp, wartryx VA and included some 7 pot prima yellow, kraken scorpion and have some Bonda Mahala on the way from the kind windchicken. So in total this is my list:

Aji lemon drop  2x
Aji ahuacapan 1x
Jays peach ghost scorpion 2x
Chocolate bhutlah 1x
Nagabrains red 2x
Cheiro creme 1x
Fidalga amarillo 1x
Aji pineapple 1x
Wartryx VA 5x
Gator jigsaw (Thanks moruga welder!) 1x
Scorpernero (Thanks d3monic!) 1x
D3monic goat ( Thanks d3monic!) 5x
Habalokia peach lavalamp f2 5x
Kraken Scorpion 3x
7 pot prima yellow 5x
Bonda Mahala 4-5x probably

Plus some overwinters:
Fatalii chocolate 1x
Jamaican hot chocolate 1x
Bhut jolokia purple 2x

I see many people growing more plants per variety but I'm trying to get a taste of as many species possible with the space I got. The ones I have more plants off will be destined for sauce making. Made a 7 pot yellow mango sauce this season and friends haven't stopped asking about it since i shared it

edit! Looks like I gave up on the gator jigsaw too soon. Got one to germinate, in the soil now.  :dance:

Back