• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoking meat for the swim team.

So I volunteered to smoke some meat for the swim meet this weekend and she said 40 lbs of pulled pork and 40 lbs of chicken for the taco bar. This is just going in the hospitality room.

That sounds like wayyyy to much meat to me. How many people would you guys plan on for 80lbs of meat?

1/4 pound per person allows for those that don't eat much and those those that eat 1/2 pound.

That would work for the pork only, for chicken too? Due to preferences and some may only eat one meat you have to make sure you have enough but you can prob cut each meat to 3 ounces per person, cooked.

Tacos have lots of fillings, you won't need even that much meat.

Honestly I'd go for 2.5 ounces per person, cooked weight, per meat, and I bet you still have leftovers.

For tacos...that is a ton of meat.

When we have pp tacos 1lb is more than enough for 3 of us.

So guessing that much weight. 200 people maybe more.

Figured, kids won't appreciate real BBQ... do it up man! Good luck!

She told me around 80 people and they eat a lot.
tctenten said:
Yeah. Post up the pics.

Do you plan on doing this all on WSM?

You will be smoking for days.
My uncle gave me his 14". So I can fit it all in both of the wsm's.

Going to do shoulders and chicken breast and then chop and shred the chicken.

Ozzy2001 said:
she said 40 lbs of pulled pork and 40 lbs of chicken for the taco bar. This is just going in the hospitality room.
Whoever "she" is, I'd go with it. It's her call and fault if you run out, or there is excess. Why try to be the one to blame? Just DO IT! :D

True. It's not my money. I'm going to start on it Friday night and Saturday. Vac seal it and fridge it then they'll warm it up Sunday.

Thanks for the input guys.

Make a mop with a bottle of apple juice diluted with same amount water, and a cup ac vinegar, and when you vac seal, put some in the bag. This will help keep moist when you go to warm it in the warmers and putting in while sealing infuses.

Good call. What would you add to the chicken?
The Hot Pepper said:
Make a mop with a bottle of apple juice diluted with same amount water, and a cup ac vinegar, and when you vac seal, put some in the bag. This will help keep moist when you go to warm it in the warmers and putting in while sealing infuses.

Ozzy2001 said:
She told me around 80 people and they eat a lot.
My uncle gave me his 14". So I can fit it all in both of the wsm's.

Going to do shoulders and chicken breast and then chop and shred the chicken.

She's right ... my guess was 75-100 ...

1 lb/person raw weight ...

People fuckin' eat ... if the food is good.

I agree with the taco factor, to an extent ...

That said, if it's a buffet line, I might be inclined to eat an all meat and cheese taco just to get through the line quickly - especially if the meat is bangin' ...

Back