labels Tioze - Our label - would love some feedback

HI THP Gang!

We've recently managed to get into some stores here in the Vancouver BC area and before we grow into the larger retailers, I though I would ask you guys about our labels.

We have a Mild and Hot product, and the labels for both can be seen below.  Any feedback is welcomed. Would you change the mild to a green label, or a somehow make a clear difference between the two heats?

The green color went all weird on the uploads, but they are more natural green, like on our website.

Attachments

• hot9925.jpg
    hot9925.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 107
  • mild9918.jpg
    mild9918.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 84
I like the labels.  :)

For the hot (top photo) I would put the same chili pepper with the 3 hots! on both sides of the 250 ML.  

It appears that the mild (bottom photo?) has the same or similar chili pepper with 3 hots! (looks the same to me) - I think it could be removed entirely - so you'd have one plain label and the other marked Hot!   If that makes any sense.  :)

Congratulations on your expanding business!  Thanks for sharing your labels.

I'm assuming the green shows up better on the actual labels, the green MILD is lost, maybe if it does show up more on the actual label it would be easier seen.  I'd put the heat indicator in the same place on both labels.  Keeps it consistent.  One side or the other, or both. 

Generally, I like the label.  Professional looking,

Is this for a hot sauce? Sauce?  I ask because on your website, there's another product labeled Piri Piri and it looks like some marinated herbs and peppers.  Sorry, I'm not that familiar with this product, maybe it's the same thing.  Maybe some word of what this is would help new customers.  It's like saying Texas Creek Habanero.  Habanero what?  BBQ sauce?  Hot Sauce?  Or is piri piri a sauce and a chilli? 

Also, on your website, there are some spelling inconsistencies here-
​"All of these magical flavours can be found in Tio Ze Piri Piri Sauce. Not too hot and not too mild with a gentle but firm bite in the afterburn, Tio Ze Piri Sauce is made to exacting specifications from ALL natural ingredients with NO additives or preservatives. Tio Ze Hot or Mild Piri-Piri Sauce must be refrigerated after openeing to maintain the integrity of this wonderful Portuguese condiment."

Good luck with your continuing business!
SL

First, I love the design work on your labels. The rooster is awesome.  

Second, the green is probably coming out weird on the screen because the file is CMYK (for printing) and not RGB (for viewing on screens).  

I agree with SmokenFire about the chile pepper being unnecessary on the mild and reflecting it to the other side of the label on the hot.  I don't see enough difference from the  mild to hot label to know which is which really.  I might be missing it but does it say mild or hot anywhere on the label?  If you just wanted a subtle change the decoration under the rooster and "piri piri" could be different colors for mild and hot (red and green).  

One comment from a design perspective is, you could have the rooster's feathers as flames, think Pontiac "Firebird" logo, and this would convey hot sauce. Just an idea.

Wait. Is it supposed to be flames already? If so, needs some wisps. 

SalsaLady - thanks for the congrats.  It's been a fun year trying to figure out costing and getting our production line going.  We're trying to get into Whole Foods now and are just working out a distribution channel.

The sauce is actually a natural Peri Peri (we say Piri Piri) from Mozambique.  A family recipe passed down from my father-in-law's grandfather which I was taught to make when I visited him in South Africa last Christmas.  It's lemon and garlic forward, with some heat from African Bird Eye Chillies.  It would be similar to Nandos sauce, but we dont use vinegars or any additives, our Peri Peri is all natural (Sunflower oil, lemon juice, ect). No added sugar either.  Here's another picture of the bottle with the label.

Oh, the artwork was done by a professional company for my father-in-law in South AFrica, so  I can't take credit for it.  WE have been getting good praise for it as well.  I'm still trying to get the black shrink wraps bands on perfectly.  I've read some other threads here for some help but am still struggling.  I havent seen any youtube videos either of them being applied very well.  Maybe I'm going to fast or too slow, or maybe the quality of the shrink bands aren't that great, not sure. Still practicing. 

32134674041_665a27128a.jpg

Thank you for the explanation.  So much to learn!  :)   Sounds like a very interesting sauce! 

Re- shrink bands-  if you are doing them yourselves, I've never heard of someone getting them absolutely perfect.  I use a Milwaulkee heat gun, just a regular old hardware store heat gun with the fan attachment.  You can get heat gun sets with different attachments for ~$30.

This Milwaukee is a dual temp, I run it on high.  Align the fan attachment vertically, get the gun hot, aim it to the bottle and rotate the bottle.   (notice that even Milwaukee doesn't get all their labels straight?  :lol: )

IMG_5773.JPG

IMG_5776.JPG

Sorry for the sideways pics....
IMG_5777.JPG

IMG_5779.JPG

Also, it would look better if the bottles were filled a bit more and the shrink bands were taller.  When there's a gap below the band, it looks like the bottles are short-filled, even though they may have the exact amount of sauce.  

Sorry for the brief sideline, back to labels!   

The fan attachment really helps.  You should be able to purchase a heat gun accessories kit (without the gun) for $15-20.   Also check the wattage of your gun.  Mine's 1000w on high, that might make a difference.   Or maybe keep an eye out at thrift stores!  I bet you could find just the fan piece there.  fleaBay, etc...

I like the labels....very eye catching....For the hot label I like the suggestions above...

add another set of peppers to left side of label in red.....The flaming phoenix is a good idea visually(possibly be red also) make the border red instead of green, remove the squiggles.

I like the labels....very eye catching....For the hot label I like the suggestions above...

add another set of peppers to left side of label in red.....The flaming phoenix is a good idea visually(possibly be red also) make the border red instead of green, remove the squiggles.

Funny you said remove the squiggles, I thought that too and did it yesterday. as a mock-up so I'll just go ahead and post it.

tioze_edit.png

At first, I saw the one with three red hots on the right, and when I scrolled down, I looked at the same spot and saw nothing. After a moment of studying, I saw three green hots on the left. So which one is "Hot"? Kind of confusing. Uniformity would be good as in, THREE, RED "hots" for the HOT sauce, and ONE, RED "hot" for the MILD sauce, both in the exact same spot on the label. When looking at them side by side, your eye goes to the same spot when doing comparisons.

See how LDHS has is thermometer in the exact same spot? Imagine if one was on the left, one was on the right and was was somewhere else and they were all different colors.

Uniformity.

Just my 2¢~

IMG_1094.JPG

I like the original green border. Maybe try keeping the upper squiggle, remove the lower squiggle. Skootch the white rooster up so the feet are above the lower text. Skootch the rest of the text up and down so it looks even.

Does "250ml" have to be that large for regulations?

I feel like both sqwuiggles could be removed if the border stayed green. Then shuffle things up and down. I like the upper sqigghle. If you want to keep one, keep that one, or remove both.

Back