• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chillichump 2017

My first proper grow log! I start by soaking seeds in some weak tea for about 6-8 hours, then I plant them into a heated propagator directly in compost. Most other years I have used Coir pellets, but giving this method a go this year due to the sheer number of seeds I am starting.

List of peppers I am growing this year:

Planted on 10th January:
Carolina Reaper
Aji Crystal
Anaheim
Habanero: The Monster
7Pot Primo
Habanero 7Pot
Elephants Probiscus
Yellow 7Pot Brain Strain
Cherry Bomb
White Bhut Jolokia
Ramiro
Piri Piri
Zimbabwean Birds Eye
Caramel Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Georgia Flame
Trinidad Doughlah
Jalapeno

Planted on 11 January:
some more Zimbabwean Birds Eye
Numex Big Jim (seeds from 2012)
Katie Naga (seeds from 2014)
Banana Pepper (seeds from 2004)
a few others I will update with tonight when I get home, I can't remember

With the second batch of seeds, I was planting more of the Zim Birds Eye due to my brother placing an "order" with me for 10kg of these peppers! I didn't want to waste the space in the second heated propagator so I decided to try planting some of my older seeds, just to see if they would pop! 

Here are some photos of my first lot of seeds in the propagator (new for this season, I got a variable adjusted heated propagator, which can get up to 28 celsius):

82nUp6Y.jpg
HdXA15P.jpg
Y8MVVZM.jpg
oEAoWdL.jpg

I have quite a few more seeds popping up. And time for a bit of a cull from some over-crowded cells!

IMG_0092.jpg

a tri-cotyledon Chocolate Nagabrain:
IMG_0096.jpg

a few loops from my jalapenos:
IMG_0098.jpg

And one of my seedlings fighting their way out of their seed:
IMG_0094.jpg

I potted up my plants yesterday into 7cm pots. I made the stupid mistake of not letting the compost come to room temperature before potting on (I had just brought the compost in from outside so it was very cold!). All my plants almost instantly reacted:
IMG_20170129_183529.jpg

my poor piri piri:
IMG_20170129_183544.jpg

I warmed up the water I used to try and counteract what I had done to my plants, as well as stuck them under lights right away. Thankfully this morning when went to check on them, they had perked up. Very relieved! Here are a couple of pictures from this evening:

IMG_20170130_170644.jpg

and my piri piri coming back to life:
IMG_20170130_170650.jpg

Back