• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Leaves on Seedlings Turning White

I have been dealing with this all season. Start a few seeds, start off healthy, then the cotelydons and first few sets of true leaves start to turn white at the tips. I had one Chocolate Habanero plant turn completely white on all the leaves. They eventually grow out of it, but they really seem to be finicky and stunted while this is taking place, so I would like to fix it if possible. Any ideas what is causing it? Over watering, under watering, nutrients, too much light? Im stumped. The pics really dont do it justice, as the spots look yellowish, but they are actually more white.
46964c3bb4ee7c08a0c6d02ac323df8f.jpg
ca6b34127e441e81aa8f453c1398d0ba.jpg
d5fe08df26ce341090d6e625855afc32.jpg
fc0332b6814dfd28c0d85659726fb1f7.jpg

Unfortunate that they were stunted but they seem to be growing out of it and doing fine now.
The new growth is fine, so IMO nothing to really worry about.

I would put the yellowing cotys down to too much water, although your soil looks to be about right so maybe not. Maybe they were a bit damp (or cold) when they were younger / previously. 
top right pic looks like soil may be too wet. 

Is that slow release fert balls in the soil?

If so and you are adding more ferts/nutes it could be burning them.

Over watering may be an issue as well.

Generally i dont like ferts in the soil until plants are much larger...at the size they are now ferts are hardly needed.

1/4 strength nutes once every other week should be plenty.....just throwing some ideas out thete.

moruga welder said:
how much water ?  whats nutrient program ? 
I have just been watering when needed. I have them under 2, 4ft t8s, plus a fan for a good part of the day, so they tend to dry out pretty quickly. Sometimes twice a day(light watering) on the small cups. Every 2 or 3 days on the larger ones. Nutrients is a 50 percent fish emulsion solution for the larger plants (5-8 sets of true leaves,) every 4-5 waterings, and less than 1/4 dose for the smaller ones.
Masher said:
Is that slow release fert balls in the soil?

If so and you are adding more ferts/nutes it could be burning them.

Over watering may be an issue as well.

Generally i dont like ferts in the soil until plants are much larger...at the size they are now ferts are hardly needed.

1/4 strength nutes once every other week should be plenty.....just throwing some ideas out thete.
Yeah, I think you are right about the slow release fert. I am doing 1/4 strength every couple weeks now, but I will cut that out and see how it goes.

CMJ said:
Do you know what your water parameters are? And your soil pH?
Start there.

Dismissing a potential problem without knowing what caused it will many times lead you to repeating it down the road with potentially more devestating results.

Your plants don't look bad to me,unless the white balance of the photos is way off like you mentioned.

90% of the problems I have seen here are related to too much water. Collar rot,gnats,pH,poor root structure,etc.

I am not dissuading you from using solo cups. A plant that small is not eating up all that moisture in 2 days though. It is nearly impossible to put a plant that small on any kind of watering schedule with that much soil.

I'm leaning towards to much water also ,  how wet is it under that top soil ?  Got to let those babies stay a little on the dry side  . I'd  use  a seed starter soil thats has absolutely no ferts.     :seeya:  

moruga welder said:
I'm leaning towards to much water also ,  how wet is it under that top soil ?  Got to let those babies stay a little on the dry side  . I'd  use  a seed starter soil thats has absolutely no ferts.     :seeya:  
I let it get dry almost to the bottom of the soil before I water. I had just watered when I took the pics. There are no ferts in the seed starter mix, that I am aware of.

the plants look fine.. coty's die / fall off most plants it's ok. now if your real leaves start doing that it's a problem. 

I wouldn't worry about overferting them... you would see leaf tip / edge burn.
and ph from city water is balanced usually that should not be a problem. 

white foliage is usually caused by transplant shock / lighting changes / nitrogen deficiency. 

Nzchili has a point. We recently had some 5 degree F nights and the heat in my grow room just couldnt keep up. It got down below 60 in there for about a week. Right after that is when they started acting funny. That would explain the stunted growth, I guess?

I wouldn't do anything except be cognizant of over watering.  I see a larger plant in the background that looks healthy.  I assume it gets the same city water and soil as the little guy in question?  When my plants die, it's usually because I over-loved them.   :mope:   

Yes sir, that one is bouncing back from an aphid infestation. Aji Pineapple. I am definitely guilty of over caring for my plants. I guess I just need to back off and let them do their thing.

Back