• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Thermostat Setting

Just curious as to what setting everyone uses for their heat mat. I've set my thermostat everywhere from 80 to 88. I used a higher setting last year, but had poor germination rates. This year I've backed it down to 80. Has anyone found a setting that they feel is superior? I try to keep notes every year, so any information I can add to my notes would be beneficial.

Tim

its probably different between mats and thermostats.
I use an Apollo horticulture heatmat and thermostat and I set mine at 90.
when i look at it, it seems to fluctuate between 88 and 91.
I germ just fine

I don't use a thermostat...I have my mat on a piece of tile backer board and my seed tray directly on the mat.

75-90 is acceptable...80-85 is optimum.

Started my seeds Jan 2nd...I have approx 75%+ germination as of this morning.

83F +/- 3F

I had issues with temperature control this year.  A few days with temps in the 70's significantly delayed germination compared to last year.

Keep in mind the heat from a mat doesn't shut off or pick up instantly, so you're mainly looking for a setting with a good average. If you're putting the probe into a cup of the same medium that you're germinating in (as you should), be sure to keep it watered the same as you do the seeds themselves for a proper reading. Watch a heat cycle once you've set it to see what the peak and lowest points are. I keep my thermostat set at 84 degrees, which produces a high side maximum of 86 and a low end of 82 with an average right around 84-85.

As Masher said, 80-85 is optimum but keep in mind that many superhots will have a low germination rate or will take a long time to germinate no matter what. I had 100% germination on my Brazilian Starfish after only 6-8 days this year and most of them are already producing their first true leaves. They're going like mad. By contrast, only a single, sad looking superhot has come up thus far, a couple of Frutescens, and absolutely none of my BBG7 or Fatalii plants have awakened after a couple weeks.

As you approach 90, some types get less happy. As you drop below 80, most types take considerably longer to germinate. Don't stress over it too much, though. There are people here who just chuck their tray outside as soon as it is over 70 degrees and peppers eventually show up.

Slug said:
Keep in mind the heat from a mat doesn't shut off or pick up instantly, so you're mainly looking for a setting with a good average. If you're putting the probe into a cup of the same medium that you're germinating in (as you should), be sure to keep it watered the same as you do the seeds themselves for a proper reading. Watch a heat cycle once you've set it to see what the peak and lowest points are. I keep my thermostat set at 84 degrees, which produces a high side maximum of 86 and a low end of 82 with an average right around 84-85.

As Masher said, 80-85 is optimum but keep in mind that many superhots will have a low germination rate or will take a long time to germinate no matter what. I had 100% germination on my Brazilian Starfish after only 6-8 days this year and most of them are already producing their first true leaves. They're going like mad. By contrast, only a single, sad looking superhot has come up thus far, a couple of Frutescens, and absolutely none of my BBG7 or Fatalii plants have awakened after a couple weeks.

As you approach 90, some types get less happy. As you drop below 80, most types take considerably longer to germinate. Don't stress over it too much, though. There are people here who just chuck their tray outside as soon as it is over 70 degrees and peppers eventually show up.
 great response..almost all my chinense are up....none of the Frutes and Pubes are ready,,,they will need more time.

I have the soil temperature of my heated propagator set to 24°C/75°F. Seeds usually germinate after about 5 days. Setting the temperature higher is useless in my opinion. It will just raise the energy bill...

I use a Hydro Farm heat mat and thermostat. The thermostat has a sensor that I place down in the soil. I've used it for 3 or 4 years and have had great success. I was just curious to see what everybody sets their thermostat to. Thanks for all the responses. I'm a firm believer that knowledge is meant to be shared. It doesn't matter if this is your first year, or your 10th, you can always learn something!

Tim

over the years I have had a few of the thermostats made for the residential 10 by 20 style heat mats,  and they never are accurate some are even useless.

Most of my heat mats will only raise the mediums temp. about 8-10 deg F above ambient temp's which is usually sufficient early in the season 

Back