• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Azamax

I just picked up a pint of Azamax to deal with a hoard of whiteflies that hitchhiked into the grow room on some hibiscus plants. Is azamax as harmful as the label leads me to believe? Or is it simply McLiability. Long sleeves, gloves seems over kill for what can be used up to the day of harvest.

I asked the same thing awhile back.  Everyone reassured me that it was nothing more than Neem, mixed with some citrus flavinoids.

In the end, it works no better for me than pure Neem.  I still have both of my testicles, and the whiteflies show no signs of abating.

I'm going to wish you good luck with your whitefly problem.  Those are some tough bastards.  My course of action ended up being sticky traps, and every other day spray downs with the hose.  I have to live with them for life, because outside growing here means whitefly.  But you can whip them.  Use the Azamax, and be sure to follow up.  It takes at least 2 weeks to kill off the current generation.  Dish soap helps with the adult stage.  Azamax/Neem is only going to help with the crawler stage.

I had good results against spider mites and aphids. I wore a respirator and gloves because I have allergy problems. Better safe than sorry

I just gave a good dosing and backed out of the room. Will hit it again tomorrow just to get a better coating. I don't think this is need oil. I have used neem oil before, this is different.

CAPCOM said:
I just picked up a pint of Azamax to deal with a hoard of whiteflies that hitchhiked into the grow room on some hibiscus plants. Is azamax as harmful as the label leads me to believe? Or is it simply McLiability. Long sleeves, gloves seems over kill for what can be used up to the day of harvest.
when nothing else works there's macho 2.0 this stuff is not for inside use!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 38
I usually do 2 applications a year. Seemed efficient. Could probably of used a third last summer for late season cut worms. Early spring spider mites and never seen an aphid on treated plants while adjacent flower beds are completely covered

CAPCOM said:
I just gave a good dosing and backed out of the room. Will hit it again tomorrow just to get a better coating. I don't think this is need oil. I have used neem oil before, this is different.

Azamax is not Neem, per se, but its main agent is Azadirachtin, which is extracted from Neem. (or, quite possibly biosynthesized)

Azamax, like Neem, is highly biodegradable, so be sure to use it all right away.  Don't store it, and always mix fresh.

I don't like chemical so I kill whitefiles using Beauveria bassiana and metarhizium anisopliae.  DOOMSDAY for insect  :dance:  bye bye

solid7 said:

Azamax is not Neem, per se, but its main agent is Azadirachtin, which is extracted from Neem. (or, quite possibly biosynthesized)

Azamax, like Neem, is highly biodegradable, so be sure to use it all right away.  Don't store it, and always mix fresh.
That makes sense then. I have been using fly tapes for about 3 weeks and removed probably 7000 white flies. I can get the flyers but it's the nymph cycle that needs to be shut down cause they come right back.

I have a 1/2 pint of Azamax that I have been using for 4 yrs now....I add it to neem mixture and apply once via sprayer in the first month of plant growth.
I have not used it in a repeated regiment for killing bugs yet.

They need wet soil to lay eggs.....try drying the soil out more..isolate the top of the soil with plastic wrap etc after spraying soil is an option but a pain.

I use mighty wash(contains a dye)..king wash(dye free) for early growth bug problems..I just found out it does contain pyrethum but I am not concerned with the lose doses via sprayer I use this product
(maybe once or twice a season if at all)

Diamatious Earth can be placed as a top dressing to the soil and kills the flys and larva trying to pass through it.
If you use DE, don't reuse the soil in a garden bed, compost or garden....it will kill off worms and other beneficial bugs and make your soil sterile...but just fine for isolated pots.

Yeah, I know a pint seems like a lot but I got it at cost for 60.00 where 4 oz would have cost me 28.00, maybe a little less.
These are whiteflies I am irradicating, not fungus gnats. Top layer of soil is definitely not moist.

Update, between the azamax and the fly strips, I am seeing a very significant reduction in white fly numbers. While there are still remote groups here and there, it may only be a matter of time now that the cycle is broken for good. This is good news as I plan to start transplanting to solo cups the weekend.

You'll still need to re-apply at least once or twice, until all of the crawlers - those little black specks that are left when you wash off the disgusting white stuff - are completely dead, and nothing new shows up, winged or otherwise..  They don't tend to fall off, so it's really hard to tell if they're dead.  

solid7 said:
You'll still need to re-apply at least once or twice, until all of the crawlers - those little black specks that are left when you wash off the disgusting white stuff - are completely dead, and nothing new shows up, winged or otherwise..  They don't tend to fall off, so it's really hard to tell if they're dead.  

Planned on it. hit them twice already. will reapply in a few days.

That macho 2.0 will really lay waste to white flies. :onfire:  Id use that & have used a similar product on my citrus trees for whitefly. (and on pepper plants for aphids)
Why don't you (OP) just take the plants outside, spray them with whatever then bring them back inside?
Also if the plants are based inside I cant see the harm of using imid based products..the one argument against them is the whole bee colony collapse disorder (which I might add has not been proven, whatsoever). but you don't need to worry about that if they are indoors.

nzchili said:
That macho 2.0 will really lay waste to white flies. :onfire:  Id use that & have used a similar product on my citrus trees for whitefly. (and on pepper plants for aphids)
Why don't you (OP) just take the plants outside, spray them with whatever then bring them back inside?
Also if the plants are based inside I cant see the harm of using imid based products..the one argument against them is the whole bee colony collapse disorder (which I might add has not been proven, whatsoever). but you don't need to worry about that if they are indoors.

Except it is 28° outside right now. Plants dont like going from 92°to 28° in 10 seconds.

CAPCOM said:

Except it is 28° outside right now. Plants dont like going from 92°to 28° in 10 seconds.

lol ahhhh yea that'd be a pretty good reason:)
sorry didn't consider that it may be freezing out.

Back