• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked Hungarian Sausage

Sizzle Lips

Extreme Member
Had a couple small Picnic roasts that I cut and cleaned up to make a small 5 lb batch of sausage.
I used a pre mix from the Sausage Maker and added 1/4 tsp of my mixed superhot powder for some warmth.
I also use red wine instead of water ....I like to mix my wet and dry ingredients together for a more even mix into the meat.

IMG_3921.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

I ground the meat through a 10 mm plate and stuffed into some ugly looking 35-38 mm hog casing.

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

IMG_3940.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_3949.jpg

I let the links hang at room temp for an hour then into a pre-heated 130 degree smoke house...vents wide open no smoke.I used my electric Masterbuilt for this.
After about an hour I close the vents so they are a quarter open and bump the temp 10 degrees every hour ....start your smoke...i used Hickory.
I bump the temp every hour till I reach 165 degrees.....then cook until you have an internal meat temp of 150 degrees.
Remove from the smoker and give a cold water shower to stop the cooking....leave on a drying rack at room temp for a couple of hours to bloom.

IMG_3954.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

This sausage is very dark because of the heavy use of Hungarian Paprika in the mix....enjoy

Looks awesome. Whole pork leg Is on sale right now for under a 1$/lb. Chest freezer is packed otherwise I would make some sausage for sure.

January is when all the Italians here start making all their Salami and sausage.....My supermarket has whole legs and shoulders on sale....think I may pick up a few to get me through the winter....
I only like to make fresh and smoked sausage during the winter months.....I do have a few family recipes but I do like using the Sausage Makers blends....and they have them all.
Almost time to make a batch of Kielbasa.

Back