• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Vendors selling live plants in 2017 form

This form will be for posting of vendors that are currently or will soon be opening up for orders on live plants. If you list here include when they begin shipping if it is known

I'll start off with chileplants.com which is cross country nursery
They are currently accepting orders for this year and begin shipping in late march/early April depending on the area you live. Orders have to be in multiples of 6.

i wont be selling seedling or young plants in packs but will have idividual established plants for sale come end of april mid may when temps allow. all will have individual pages and pic and ranging from 3 to 6 months old so people can pick the idividual plants they want. prices will vary. types will vary. some may have one available some may have a dozen. so far i started about 50 beginning of december . may also have a few 1 year plus plants if i choose to grow different stock. it will be first come first serve and ill announce and advertisements here when ready. if room allows ill offer younger packs like other places but i prefer to sell at 12 weeks minimum. either way all ages will be listed. i ship bare root by that age that's too much potting material to risk shifting around and causing damage during transport but every situation is handled individually. ill announce here first.

sicman said:
Our licensed nursery sells plants of all sizes year round if any locals are interested.
Best to stick with Sicman and others who are licensed and inspected.  I have read up on why the licensing exists for live plants.  There are pests and bacteria which are well tolerated in some regions that can do serious damage in others.  Kentucky insists the plants be treated by X,Y, and Z for known problems in our area.  I assume other states insist on the same for the problems they see commonly.

Normally I detest such rules and regulations, but this one really makes sense.  Not wanting to mess with the chemicals Kentucky seems to like so much, we decided not to sell plants at all.  Kentucky has an exemption based on volume of sales, so might start selling locally again.  But do not want to be part of what they say can happen if you ship elsewhere.

Many Kudos to Sicman for being environmentally conscious enough to put up with the rules and getting your license.

PS - Think firewood as an example.  I forget the bug, but there was an epidemic moving north.  Couldn't treat the wood because it would cause toxic fumes.  So they made a law that said you could not move firewood North and encouraged everyone to buy it locally.  Same sort of thing.

AJ Drew said:
PS - Think firewood as an example.  I forget the bug, but there was an epidemic moving north.  Couldn't treat the wood because it would cause toxic fumes.  So they made a law that said you could not move firewood North and encouraged everyone to buy it locally.  Same sort of thing.
When we were in bar harbor maine; the same applied. The national forest reserve had signs everywhere that only wood bought on the island could be used to kindle.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

AJ Drew said:
Here in MN Emerald Ash borer is a big issue. If your caught moving firewood or transporting fraxinus species tree debris you can be fined. Infected trees need to chipped up into 1"x 2" pieces and buried. If you look at map of the us with infection sites you will see  a bunch in the upper Midwest then one small isolated spot in Colorado, due to illegal transport of infected wood.
Several kinds of pathogens can infect young plants readily, or survive on or inside pepper seeds leading to infection in the offspring. Unless properly treated they can become vectors for disease and spread throughout your garden. Most of the time the plants appear healthy until conditions are just right. So unless they are tested or treated with fungicides or systemic pesticides these pathogens can be rapidly spread by shipping or transporting these plants. Something to keep in mind if you have had diseases like alternaria(blights) in your garden and you save seeds from infected plants or fruits.

Back