• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil rockwool in soil - can it be done?

Hi everyone!

Want to start seedling in rockwool and move it to soil with the rockwool cube. 
Do you think there will be any issue?
Someone do it with good results?

Thank you,

Itzik.

iziko said:
Hi everyone!

Want to start seedling in rockwool and move it to soil with the rockwool cube. 
Do you think there will be any issue?
Someone do it with good results?

Thank you,

Itzik.

I have not tried it yet but have seeds in three cubes that I am going to experiment with after they sprout......from all the research and videos I have watched there should be no problem dropping the cubed seedling into dirt...

I have been seed starting and cloning vegetable and non vegetable plants for several years.

Place your rooted cube into soil just like any other root ball established plant.

If you plan on putting inground vs pot, put some quality soil into the inground hole and use quality soil when using pots.

Good luck.

My glog is all rockwool cube starts right now....been sidetracked on transplanting but will update soon with cube to soil pics.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63319-masher-2017-glog/

Thank you all guys! 
I'll start with rockwool this year.

I think that the gremination rate on rockwool seems to be better don't know why.

Do you "adjust" the water to 6.5ph or just watr it?

Thanks again!

iziko said:
Thank you all guys! 

I think that the gremination rate on rockwool seems to be better don't know why.

Thanks again!

I think pepper seed is not difficult to germinate at all. Why use rockwool? 
Did you try using coco pellets to germinate seed before?

iziko said:
Thank you all guys! 

Thanks again!
I am using tap water that sits out in one gallon milk jugs no less than 3 days before using....no cap on the jug.

I use Clonex rooting/seedling liquid nutrient 4 Teaspoons to one gallon of water...you can use any Cloning liquid fert just follow directions for water ratio.

My water is 7.8 - 8,0 ph out of the tap....once I add the Clonex and then 1 dozen rockwool cubes i gently stir the cubes in a circular motion to distribute the cube/water/Clonex evenly.

20 mins later the ph is 6.5 - 6.8

For vegtable gardening....6.5 - 7.0 has been perfect for me.

When growing in soil after rooting in rockwool....soil is a natural buffer. I do not ph my water or nutrient solution once they go into soil.

I mix up as directed, and apply to soil as needed.

NOTE****
When using rockwool the biggest mistake is letting the cube dry out....I take the water left over from soaking the cubes before using and put it back into the gallon container....I use apply one Tablespoon of that water to each cube as needed to keep the cube very moist.....not soaking wet.
Especially if you are using a heat mat.

JoeMay said:
The instructions on the grodan cubes say to pH adjust the water to 5.5 before soaking the cubes.  I am also using the Grodan cubes and you can see on my blog where i have potted the cubes into solo cups. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63310-joes-2017-grow/

That info is general info targeted towards Cannabis growers who need ph to be 5.5 to 6.0 for clone root development.

Pepper and Vegetable plants do not require 5.5ph.

As I posted above....before adding the cubes my water is 8.0, after adding the cubes it is 6.5 

If you ph water to 5.5 before adding cubes you get 3.7 to 4.3 after adding cubes...that is death to just about any plant from seed or cutting.

My bro Masher knows his RW, I would listen to him. But damm bro, doesn't using clonex like that get spensive?? I like to add just shy of a teaspoon of FF tiger bloom to a gallon, gets my 8.0 ph tap water down to mid 6's and is just enuff nutes to promote good root growth IMO.

And to the OP

I've even gone into soil with hugo blocks with large plants. There is a bit of transition at that level, but 1.5" cubes transition to soil quit easily.

The clonex 1.5 qt bottle cost me $25...and lasts 2yrs.

4 tsp per gallon is a very weak mixture. I am seeing second and 3rd sets of leaves already 15 days from placing into the cubes.

Incidently tiger bloom same size bottle is $20.

While i do likee TB, I have had great success with CX...hard to change what works.

JoeMay said:
Here is a link to a YouTube video by Grodan on how to prepare their rock wool products. There is actually 8 parts to the series and quite informative. They do say to soak your cubes in 5.5pH water.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LnT6WHA3Le4
Seen the video yrs ago....tried it just like they say....I had limited success and now use the method I posted above. :cheers:
The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
While this thread has to do with transplanting rockwool to soil a few mentioned seed starting in the media. On another forum I'm on a regular did a side by side comparison between rockwool and a peat type pellet, I'll let you decide as YMMV.

GrowDan rockwool "vs" Rapid Rooter grow plugs..

Nice little comparison....I could never get the rapid rooter plugs to work for me..i tried three different times with horrible results...

To the OP...yes you can transplant rock wool into soil......here's a pic from today. 

With a little luck they will go into soil within the next three days.

My seeds were put into rockwool after a 12hr soak in H20 on January 2nd 2017

Here they are today January 19th 2017

still a few Super hot varieties waiting to pop but so far looking good :cheers:

Thank you all.

At the moment I'm with Jiffy. no good results. no sprout since the 01/12/17.

I'll start roclwool soon I hope!

In JIFFY nothing yet.
I hope I can start all my seed on the 01/21/17 with the rockwool.
Here one cube is sell for 0.43$ us.
Does it good price compare to US?

Thanks all and god speed!

Here in Canada they are $0.31each or 45 for $11.00.

Masher, your seedlings are looking a lot better than mine. Might have to change my method.

Back