• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is it safe to plant this?

This is my first time trying the sauce cups with paper towel method, and this little yellow bubblegum is the first to pop out a root.  I did not soak in peroxide.  There is something brown on the root, which I'm assuming is mold.  My question is, should I plant it in dirt anyway or cull it/the whole cup?

Most people giving advice on using peroxide and other such things, are way overthinking.  
Just plant the seed.  If you're worried about failure, take an engineering approach, and design redundancy in.  Or, in plain terms, plant as many as you have, and keep the best of whatever emerges.
Don't overthink peppers.  They are one of the easiest things to grow.

I figured it would be fine, and I do have about 8 or so seeds left. I had a bunch damp off last year, so I'm just a little paranoid this year lol.

Damping off is a pain and I lost plenty last season. I germinate in seed raising mix and found that by bottom watering only it has solved that problem for me this season as I lost one in like 80+

Jase4224 said:
Damping off is a pain and I lost plenty last season. I germinate in seed raising mix and found that by bottom watering only it has solved that problem for me this season as I lost one in like 80+

I have to agree with this.  This is pretty much my method, also.

Hmmm... I can't identify what is it by taking a look at blurry photo but this is dangerous. 
If the seeds are infected. e.g. seed borned anthracnose and you continue planting them in your garden then you will be in big trouble later,

If you wanna minimize risk,  better soak seeds in 5% vinegar, hydrogen peroxide ... blah blah.

Now it depends on your luck. 

This is interesting. I have never used anything but water with my paper towels. I didn't have any idea that I could or should be adding other things. How does that work?

Inedible said:
This is interesting. I have never used anything but water with my paper towels. I didn't have any idea that I could or should be adding other things. How does that work?

It's not that you necessarily should, it's just an option. Honestly if you get good germination % already than I don't see the point.

Jase4224 said:
It's not that you necessarily should, it's just an option. Honestly if you get good germination % already than I don't see the point.

Or if you're not a commercial grower.

This man is a genius.  :party: (him, not me)

solid7 said:

Or if you're not a commercial grower.

This man is a genius.  :party: (him, not me)
I'm not really following you are you taking the piss out of me?

I just gave the guy my opinion and what has worked for me..

Jase4224 said:
I'm not really following you are you taking the piss out of me?

I just gave the guy my opinion and what has worked for me..

No, mate, I'm agreeing with you, and having a little fun, in the process. (as per recent events) Your comment was spot on.  I added the little addendum about commercial growers, as they're much more likely to have to worry about obscure epidemics at a seed level, than you or I.

solid7 said:

No, mate, I'm agreeing with you, and having a little fun, in the process. (as per recent events) Your comment was spot on.  I added the little addendum about commercial growers, as they're much more likely to have to worry about obscure epidemics at a seed level, than you or I.
All good!

I honestly hadn't considered commercial growers.

Inedible said:

the 2 theories i think are relevant to your question is that hydrogen peroxide A) drastically helps to control molds and mildews that might pop up on your seeds/paper towels and B) provides extra oxygen to the roots when they pop... plant leaves may need co2, but plant roots want oxygen...

All I have done extra was to use bottled water to soak my seeds instead of tap water. But I don't think that it mattered.

Back