• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Cajun Slaw

I make a mexican slaw with red cabbage and red onions, usually throw in some hot peppers diced up, either jimaca julienned or apples and use apple cider vinegar and I'm a Cajun/Creole. :)

No, I've never heard of something like that in Cajun cuisine.

The only thing it made me think of is an Alsatian dish called Choucroute garnie. But it consists of sauerkraut, sausage, and pork. It's not a fresh, dressed cabbage like you seem to be describing.

But I've never heard of people making Cajun Choucroute anyway. Though, that could be something I should try out.

yes, my brother works with many cajuns and he was describing the dish they make but he only heard the name as shoecrew. I cannot find any reference to that one. I am gonna run to the store tomorrow and pick up the cabbage. That dish sound like heaven.

I grew up eating that at my grandparents house. It's just a light dressing and it was used on lettuce, tomato and cucumber salad too but always used on cabbage and cucumbers. Sometimes it was made using the hot vinegar from a jar of pickled mirlitons.

not sure what shoecrew is, but I've had some cabbage slaws that were killer.  Latest version was with a Cajun Dipping sauce and some shredded cabbage, bit of onion, maybe shredded carrots...
1 3/4c mayo1/2c catsup
1T hot sauce
1T lemon
2t creole/Cajun spice mix
1t Worcestershire

I've done a couple other recipes with mayo, Cajun spice, balsamic or cider vinegar.

Not cajun but i make a sweet and spicy slaw. I got the recipe off of RothChild Farms website. It uses their roasted pineapple habanero sauce that is just fantastic, The heat is rather subtle but the slaw is great.

You got it, it's a raw cabbage salad. French is a backasswards way of talking, Even for me when I went to France. sorte=kind, choe means cabbage and cru =vintage. It was just a cheap dressing, but it's really good===don't add too much vinegar, it's supposed to have a light vinegar flavor and you should taste more black pepper with salt to taste.

The recipe up top by SalsaLady sounds awesome as well. Meant to stop by the store today for the cabbage, but got sidetracked.

Back