• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

yield Increasing yield with food flavour enhancer. Anyone has experience with this?

My friend told me that he made foliar spray using food flavour enhancer (E621 aka MSG) and wood vinegar mixed in water.  
Some recipes also have red bull energy drink and EM1 instead of wood vinegar.

Pepper plant will produce flower like crazy. Is it true?
Anyone has experience with this?

lek said:
My friend told me that he made foliar spray using food flavour enhancer (E621 aka MSG) and wood vinegar mixed in water.  
Some recipes also have red bull energy drink and EM1 instead of wood vinegar.

Pepper plant will produce flower like crazy. Is it true?
Anyone has experience with this?

Sounds impressive!
I'd also be interested to know...

b3rnd said:
Very interesting. I've found this study detailing the effects of amino acids on plants. It's a bit of a dry read but certainly worth the read.

Effect of Mixed Amino Acids on Crop Growth
solid7 said:
Hey, Professor Amino...

popcorn.gif

Just read all those links and can draw a few conclusions from this:

• It generally works better mixed with seaweed solution
  • The plant will only grow as much as the limiting factor lets it. Meaning you should improve your light and soil conditions as a priority. 
  • Monosodium Glutamate is used because it's a very cheap freely available glutamine. There is nothing special about MSG other than it's cheap
  • Concentrations of mixed amino acids (MMA) are effective in the 800-1500mg per Liter range. 
  • Sprayings are done ever 3-4 weeks. No further information on weekly or daily spraying.
  • My own thoughts would be that smaller plants will require more frequent sprayings with a lower concentration. Yet there is no data on what this would do. I'd suggest 800mg/L divided by 3, then again by 7 (38mg/L) to give a daily spraying amount. 
  • Remember that the dosing takes into account that all the medium is being used. So 38mg/L daily means that daily you're putting on 1L of water onto the plant. It might be better to simply spray less and spray on 50ml of 800mg/L fluid daily. Again, there is no data on this.
  • Nowhere is it ever mentioned how much is being sprayed onto the plants. Just a concentration

• The amino acids used were alanine (Ala), β–alanine (β–Ala), aspartic acid (Asp), asparagine (Asn), glutamic acid (Glu), glutamine (Gln) and glycine (Gly) in equal amounts. MSG is only the glutamine component

So where do we go from here? Do we mix up our own blend of the above and start spraying?
Remember that the above studies are for low-cost, effective agriculture. What can we do at home to get the same effect?

• Both manure and fish emulsion are 14% protein
  • Compost and worm teas provide huge amounts of microbes and amino acids
  • Seaweed extract also contains ample amino acids- the studies above showed that seaweed extract worked almost as well as amino acids and outperformed amino acids in number of branches formed.
  • A quick browse of my local hydroponics store website also revealed that there were many amino acid preparations available to buy

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Just waiting for the member you crowned the Professor to chime in on a subject he's familiar with.

`

Being you haven't a clue what I meant, 
yawning.gif

Being you're the only person who EVER knows what you mean...
yawning.gif

Back on track of original question please.

The Hot Pepper said:
Back on track of original question please.

Haha...  We must have been misbehaving.  Don't see that often.  Sorry, boss!

Powelly said:

Just read all those links and can draw a few conclusions from this:

• It generally works better mixed with seaweed solution
  • The plant will only grow as much as the limiting factor lets it. Meaning you should improve your light and soil conditions as a priority. 
  • Monosodium Glutamate is used because it's a very cheap freely available glutamine. There is nothing special about MSG other than it's cheap
  • Concentrations of mixed amino acids (MMA) are effective in the 800-1500mg per Liter range. 
  • Sprayings are done ever 3-4 weeks. No further information on weekly or daily spraying.
  • My own thoughts would be that smaller plants will require more frequent sprayings with a lower concentration. Yet there is no data on what this would do. I'd suggest 800mg/L divided by 3, then again by 7 (38mg/L) to give a daily spraying amount. 
  • Remember that the dosing takes into account that all the medium is being used. So 38mg/L daily means that daily you're putting on 1L of water onto the plant. It might be better to simply spray less and spray on 50ml of 800mg/L fluid daily. Again, there is no data on this.
  • Nowhere is it ever mentioned how much is being sprayed onto the plants. Just a concentration

• The amino acids used were alanine (Ala), β–alanine (β–Ala), aspartic acid (Asp), asparagine (Asn), glutamic acid (Glu), glutamine (Gln) and glycine (Gly) in equal amounts. MSG is only the glutamine component

So where do we go from here? Do we mix up our own blend of the above and start spraying?
Remember that the above studies are for low-cost, effective agriculture. What can we do at home to get the same effect?

• Both manure and fish emulsion are 14% protein
  • Compost and worm teas provide huge amounts of microbes and amino acids
  • Seaweed extract also contains ample amino acids- the studies above showed that seaweed extract worked almost as well as amino acids and outperformed amino acids in number of branches formed.
  • A quick browse of my local hydroponics store website also revealed that there were many amino acid preparations available to buy

I guess I never really thought of it all like this.  I make seaweed and rabbit poo fertilizer as my main, and fish fertilizer as my secondary.  Both are fermented, using lacto bacillus culture.
I will agree that worm castings and compost add microbes and aminos (I use them for humic and fulvic) but they also have a limited life span.  They deplete quickly.  I live in an area with lots of rain, and I find that not only do containers leach the useful elements quickly, but any mix that lacks structure, will quickly compact.  I have a hell of a time keeping compost from compacting, in particular.

solid7 said:
I have a hell of a time keeping compost from compacting, in particular.
why don't you keep earthworm in the soil?

back to amino acid a bit, do you know that amino acid improves the uptake of the calcium a thousand times faster? this is the key. 

lek said:
why don't you keep earthworm in the soil?

back to amino acid a bit, do you know that amino acid improves the uptake of the calcium a thousand times faster? this is the key. 

Yes.
I put earthworms in all of my containers, and they usually stay.   Also, I tend to no-till my containers, and their secondary job is to eat the old roots that remain from the last planting.  However, as I stated, I get very heavy rains, and the compost leaches, and compacts, in the process.  It's been a recurring theme, and the only way that I've been able to get around it, is to minimize the type and quantity of compost used.
I've had phenomenal growth with up to 60% compost - until the rains begin.  And then it goes to hell.
Now, I use a lower percentage of compost, but an increase in the structure of my soil.  And, I prefer, as much as possible, to topwater, and let the overrun wick back up.  If I keep my nutrient solution relatively dilute, I can go an entire season with no salt build-ups of any kind, and phenomenal results.

solid7 said:

I've had phenomenal growth with up to 60% compost - until the rains begin.  And then it goes to hell.

why don't you cover the ground with black plastic?

lek said:

why don't you cover the ground with black plastic?

I don't plant in-ground.  If I cover the container with plastic, how do I water? Plus, there are heat/humidity issues. (effectively making a terrarium under the plastic cover)

solid7 said:

I don't plant in-ground.  If I cover the container with plastic, how do I water? Plus, there are heat/humidity issues. (effectively making a terrarium under the plastic cover)
don't worry.  example of commercial product is earthbox.    it should be easy to make your own earthbox.

PS. white plastic that cover the container should help protecting pepper plant from aphids.  it might be better than black color plastic in some cases.

lek said:
don't worry.  example of commercial product is earthbox.    it should be easy to make your own earthbox.

PS. white plastic that cover the container should help protecting pepper plant from aphids.  it might be better than black color plastic in some cases.

I grow almost all of my plants in sub-irrigated containers - but I top water, instead of the wicking. (as I am not comfortable with my nutrient solutions potentially falling out of solution, and creating organic sludge in the bottom of the containers)
My concept is more along the lines of "Hempy", rather than Earthbox.

Solid7 would you be able to post a pic of your setup? It gets really hot and dry here and wandering if your method may be beneficial

nzchili said:
Removed my post, was not necessary.  :onfire:  :hell:
Good luck

Yeah, I noticed it here.  Was it a double post?  Because that setup is still posted.  At first, I thought somebody had deleted the thread....

Back