• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Hot Cherry Pepper? Can we narrow it down?

I bought this from a market. It was labeled "Hot Pepper." I thought it was a capsicum annuum cherry pepper which Trade Winds Fruit says has a "Mildly hot flavor." I split it open and it had a thick flesh and lots of seeds. I took a small bite and was really surprised that is was hotter than a habenero. That was not what I signed up for!

I harvested the seeds and the seedlings grow large, long leaves fairly quickly. I simply labeled the seedlings "Cherry Bomb."

XEzC2RB.jpg

Any idea what this really is?

In my continued search it seems that they might be Piccante Calabrese Peppers but who knows. I see their heat level listed from 1,500 (which mine were not) to 150,000 (which seems right.

Hard to say for a certainty; there are a LOT of varieties that look like that. Have you considered getting in touch with whoever does the purchasing at the market you mentioned? They should be able to give you a definitive answer.

that looks exactly like the cherry red hots i grow...  they also germinate really quickly and shoot up fast with long thin leaves as well. I use them to reinforce my orange hab sauces since they are spicy and flavorful but provide excellent red coloring back into the sauce.

Back