• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Diemen's (Tasmanian Pepper) Hot Sauces - "Stinger"

Around the end of last year when I went to a local restaurant I had an opportunity to try a hot sauce which piqued my taste buds so much I have become virtually addicted to the stuff.

When I read the ingredients I was intrigued by the presence of the Tasmanian Mountain Pepper - also know as Diemen Pepper which adds a very unique twist to this hot sauce.

The sauce has a very definite chilli - Habanero - flavour but underneath this is the unique long fragrant herbal burn of the mountain pepper which has no capsaicinoids but rather an alkaloid called "polygodial" which is responsible for the burn.

After researching it further I found that the polygodial was a fascinating substance having the burn, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.

I'd rate the burn around a 6-7 out of 10 and it lasts a good 5-10 minutes with the longer polygodial effect that in my first week of eating it was present even 12 hours afterwards in the form of an astringent feeling in the tongue and throat.

The habanero flavour is not floral here and the presence of cayenne gives it a very balanced chilli sauce feel. I've had a lot of hot sauces and this is just different and addictive.

I have no association near or far or any vested interest in the company financial or otherwise. I'm just absolutely obsessed with the unique flavour of this sauce.

It's amazing enough that I have sought out the Diemen pepper in its own right (not a chilli) and plan to use it in my own blends in future.

It's I believe improved my general well being in good ways but this is obviously a very personal thing and cpuld be just as much placebo as a real chemical effect of the polygodial.

I won't post a link to the websites it's sold on as a search for those interested is not difficult.

diemens-stinger-bottleshot-grey_grande_c2d33b67-132d-4b97-bcb5-d03e5c4957b7_grande.jpg

Just as an added note, the review is about the "Stinger" version. They make an Original milder sauce which I'd rate at 2/10 at most.

The original gives the polygodial effect more prominence as the Stinger heat (in time) overwhelms the herbal flavour. Both are excellent in their own way.

That's a very interesting find. I do not believe they sell that sauce in the UK but I will keep an eye out because I do love to feature different, lesser known forms of heat on my blog alongside the usual chilli.

very interesting read on that "pepper"...i dont think its an actual pepper, just a name, but interesting plant all the same... ill have to see about finding seeds for that...

I've had a bottle of this for quite a while. Quite heavy the vinegar, but really nice. I like their cayenne one, too. Delicious!

JUR-Z-Devil said:
very interesting read on that "pepper"...i dont think its an actual pepper, just a name, but interesting plant all the same... ill have to see about finding seeds for that...

Indeed. It's known as "pepper berry" because it's a berry with similar effects to black pepper.
There're still chillies in the sauce aswell though.

Back