• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Fertilizer Dilution...

Hi,

Curious... Many fertilizer/people recommend (for soil application) doing a cycle of fertilizer / water / water before giving more fertilizer...

What happen if you dilute proportionally your fertilizer and give it every day (or each time water is necessary) when you water.

Plants do like a rush of fertilizer?

Thanks!

Laurent

It doesn't matter
I foliar feed my plants with weak solution twice a day just because I like to go out and spray them each day

I figure the total amount of nutrients per month is what matters the most. I guess with irregular large amounts you're more likely to burn them

i wouldn't , how old are your plants ?  every other week , off week epsom  salts , What you can use in every watering . which wont hurt is , ECOVIE ,  great stuff !    :seeya:

I water as necessary, using drip irrigation bubbler sprinklers.

I pre-fertilize (is that a word?) with Bone Meal, Blood Meal and powdered Crab Shell about a month (mid-April) before plant-out, and work those in with the Roto-Tiller.

I fertilize once a week throughout the vegetative season (until plants really start producing pods; usually mid-August), using Alaska Fish and Alaska Seaweed at 80% of the recommended concentration, generally five gallons of mixture for my 4 foot by 32 foot raised bed.

I had one Jigsaw reach 6 feet 8inches last season.

You ask a question like that, you'll get a million answers.
Do you like to be gorged on nutrient and calorie dense foods, once or twice a month, and then be left to be starved, and risk sickness set in, until your next feeding?  Or would your prefer a stable, steady diet, with sensible portions? (having nutrition available when you need it - knowing that you don't necessarily know exactly when that is)
The general rule on plant uptake is 3-1-2.  If you could provide a nutrient 100% of the time with that ratio, it would probably be great.   This whole season, I experimented on feeding nutrients at every watering, using just that ratio.  I have a harsh growing environment, and it was a phenomenal success.
So my suggestion, is to feed low, and feed often.  Don't go binge and starve, feast and famine, whatever you like to call it...

alkhall said:
I fertilize once a week throughout the vegetative season (until plants really start producing pods; usually mid-August), using Alaska Fish and Alaska Seaweed at 80% of the recommended concentration, generally five gallons of mixture for my 4 foot by 32 foot raised bed.

That was my first liquid nutrient, and it worked a charm.

ELCouz said:
Curious... Many fertilizer/people recommend (for soil application) doing a cycle of fertilizer / water / water before giving more fertilizer...

very simple. water change moisture content of a soil. low soil moisture decreases soil microbe activity. microbes convert organic N to inorganic nitrate N.  see that? dry soil u got less NO3-, right?
Just water it, ok?  so NO3-, P, K, Ca will be more available to the plants.... blah blah blah

Sorry for the late reply I was away from the interwebbs

moruga welder said:
i wouldn't , how ld are your plants ?  every other week , off week epsom  salts , What can use in every watering which want hurt is ECOVIE ,  great stuff !    :seeya:

Around 1 year old...

solid7 said:
You ask a question like that, you'll get a million answers.
Do you like to be gorged on nutrient and calorie dense foods, once or twice a month, and then be left to be starved, and risk sickness set in, until your next feeding?  Or would your prefer a stable, steady diet, with sensible portions? (having nutrition available when you need it - knowing that you don't necessarily know exactly when that is)
The general rule on plant uptake is 3-1-2.  If you could provide a nutrient 100% of the time with that ratio, it would probably be great.   This whole season, I experimented on feeding nutrients at every watering, using just that ratio.  I have a harsh growing environment, and it was a phenomenal success.
So my suggestion, is to feed low, and feed often.  Don't go binge and starve, feast and famine, whatever you like to call it...

I know I ask odd questions around...trying to see if complete automation is possible with minimum complexity. I will be away nearly one month in the peak of heat this summer and I want to have the garden healthy while I'm away.

Injecting with a micro-pump fertilizer at a tiny flow rate (low concentration) each watering (~ morning) is easier to program than odd schedule because I have to skip weeks of fertilizing.

I don't have the CNS17 grow in hand yet ...but what size do you recommend for a full season? Gallon is enough for everyday fertilizing like you say?

What is your concentration (CNS17) when you feed all the time 15ml  per 4L ( gallon) of water?

cns17.png

I don't follow silly weed growing recommendations.  There is no such thing as "vegetative" in my world.  I give it 1 TBSP per gallon during the entire season.  You don't need to water every day.  But if you are automating your grow, you should have a media that is VERY forgiving.  That media is coco coir.  If you mix 3 parts coco coir to 1 part perlite, you literally CANNOT overwater the stuff.
As for how much to get...  Watch Amazon frequently.  I sometimes see it go on sale for 4 gallons for $54, and free shipping.  It comes and goes, though, no rhyme or reason.  If you can get that deal, it's incredible.

To add to that, I wouldn't just set it up and walk away, until the plants are well past seedlings.  Unless you have a variable controller.  If you have that, you can premix your nutrient, and set it to irrigate at a specific moisture level. (use a rain sensor to tell it when to water)

lek said:
very simple. water change moisture content of a soil. low soil moisture decreases soil microbe activity. microbes convert organic N to inorganic nitrate N.  see that? dry soil u got less NO3-, right?
Just water it, ok?  so NO3-, P, K, Ca will be more available to the plants.... blah blah blah

I think everyone already knows that they need to water their plants..  :rolleyes:
Are you suggesting not to use any fertilizer and to water only?

Water all you want, but if the plant is in a pot then there is a limit to how much nutes are contained in that portion of soil..the nutes will deplete and in time you will need to give something back to the soil.. (more than just water)

Compost, organic ferts, chemical/refined ferts, does not matter what. Water is not a fix for a nute deficiency.. it cannot "unlock" what isnt there...

solid7 said:
If you have that, you can premix your nutrient, and set it to irrigate at a specific moisture level. (use a rain sensor to tell it when to water)

I read that there is a few days (< week) of shelf life before the mix turn nasty for plants.

My water container is 121L or 32G. I calculated this is enough for at least 4 watering with a drip system.

Algae and other stuff love the same nutrients unfortunately.

I didn't try this yet (premix), take all my saying are based of what I read around.

nzchili said:

I think everyone already knows that they need to water their plants..  :rolleyes:

hey he was curious about doing a cycle of fertilizer / water / water before giving more fertilizer...

solid7 said:
[...] set it to irrigate at a specific moisture level. (use a rain sensor to tell it when to water)

I am looking at that option instead of a fixed schedule timing. That would compensate for rainy days. I think that's really the best way to do it.

The only thing is some plants are more thirsty than others but that would be too much complex (lack of time) to implement the use of solenoid valves to direct the flow to plants that need more water. (ex: multiple moisture sensor with zone watering)

nzchili said:

Water all you want, but if the plant is in a pot then there is a limit to how much nutes are contained in that portion of soil..the nutes will deplete and in time you will need to give something back to the soil.. (more than just water)

Compost, organic ferts, chemical/refined ferts, does not matter what. Water is not a fix for a nute deficiency.. it cannot "unlock" what isnt there...

Just in case you missed it... Brawndo.

ELCouz said:

What happen if you dilute proportionally your fertilizer and give it every day (or each time water is necessary) when you water.

don't do it if you don't know how to measure nitrate accumulation in your plants.  plant may look beautiful but i won't eat it for sure.

ELCouz said:

I am looking at that option instead of a fixed schedule timing. That would compensate for rainy days. I think that's really the best way to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Rain-Delay-Aqua-Timers/dp/B0049CWR74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485990191&sr=8-1&keywords=water+timer+rain+sensor+melnor

Look at the items under the listing that it's frequently bought with.  There is a 4 zone timer, and you can put a fertigation bottle inline with one or more of them.

solid7 said:

Just in case you missed it... Brawndo.

lol had to google to see what that is. We dont have that here.

your right though, it looks to be just what plants need.

Brawndo only though...no water...its a complete solution for plant health and its spiritual well being.

FYI there is a new hydro method that's gaining popularity..its called the "brawndo method". Simply submerge plant roots in brawndo and foliar spray with a mix of organic crude oil and redbull. 

lek said:

don't do it if you don't know how to measure nitrate accumulation in your plants.  plant may look beautiful but i won't eat it for sure.

You don't measure nitrate accumulation in an automate system without spending big dollars.  That's overkill.  YOu just keep your fertlizer rates low, and set your system to overrun by about 20-30%.  You can also get multiple timers on a system, and set one of them for every 4th or 5th cycle to do a straight water flush. 

The rates that I gave him are low.  I have gone an entire season with no build ups or lock outs.

Thanks guys!  :thumbsup:

YOu just keep your fertlizer rates low, and set your system to overrun by about 20-30%

What do you mean by overrun? I can't use DTW if it's what your are talking about... garden is already there with the soil waiting to get plants in May ^_^

Back