• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Coffee Rub suggestions Please!

I would like to try a commercially available "coffee rub"...I see Weber has one??Thanks for suggestions.
e45a669d-93f1-451e-9dab-c8e42f2e4859_1.b2f7fa715786764febbdb2910b454684.jpeg

I am yet to try any commercial rubs as I (and many others) am very happy with the rubs I make myself, so why not make your own? It'll be far cheaper in the long run, and you can tweak each rub to suit your individual needs/taste.

With a few basic ingredients, you can easily create a variety of different rubs to suit everything from chicken, beef, pork or even fish. 

With a little Googleing I'm sure you can find a few good rub recipes to make a start.

If you're still uncertain on making your own, hopefully someone will reply with a rub you can buy.

Best of luck,

SR.

Coffee fills out the earthy end of the profile in rubs but rubs need to be balanced, so if making a coffee or cocoa rub, don't forget the salt, sugar, and herbs; onion, garlic, and coriander goes great with coffee especially for beef. Just make sure to round your flavors and not be one note. Lemongrass also goes well with coffee. Etc.

Oh La La...feeling guilty already ~using pre-made rub.
Well to be perfectly honest, I just use  the basic ingredients eg,peppers(red/white/black),sea salt,olive oil,some onion/garlic  powder before I put a steak on the grill,...nothing like coffee, sounds good thou'...then I see some recipes calling for cocoa,& on & on..
I may just have to call Bobby Flay :cool:

Brown sugar, Smoked Paprika, Cumin, and ground Coriander seed are also great additions. Thyme and Rosemary, dry or fresh, are exceptionally good on chicken for example. 

Sounds like you have most of the ingredients already, just experiment and don't forget to always write down your recipes so you can tweak or replicate later.

Have fun,

SR.

If the grills, accessories, customer service, and bagged fruit woods are any indication, I'm sure that Weber rub is good.

I am not arguing with people saying making one can be rewarding - it can be.

But there's a place for commercial one's too ... because every meal isn't special.

I found this coffee rub recipe on the Weber website.

Rub
-2 tablespoons ground coffee.
-1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar.
-1 tablespoon smoked paprika.
-1 tablespoon kosher salt.
-2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper.
-½ teaspoon garlic powder.

Here: https://www.weber.com/recipes/pork/coffee-rubbed-ribs-with-coffee-barbecue-sauce

It's somewhere to start if you decide to try making your own.

Hope this helps,

SR.

I was thinking the same as SavinaRed.... Shorerider's link is a good starting point....  needs herbs, onion, chile powder....

have fun, post up what you come up with~
SL

SavinaRed said:
I have a large can of that but you think it would work with my previous reply and those ingredients ?

Yes

Mustard is often the base to a rub anyway... you could leave it out if you plan to rub it with wet mustard.

The Hot Pepper said:
 Yes

Mustard is often the base to a rub anyway... you could leave it out if you plan to rub it with wet mustard.
how much would you add to the base recipe that Shorerider posted via Weber. 

Back