• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jalapeno heat?

I grew reg. jalapeno and biker billy last year and they both never had any heat. The biker billys were great looking peppers that I let turn red and lots of corking. Is this common for the heat levels to be different. I had the same problem last year with the cherry bomb pepper. Even tried to stress them with less water.

Your seed source is the most important thing. There are dozens of Jalapeño varieties and it's sounds like yours were milder varieties.

Almost all my Jalapenos last year ended up with no heat and were from the same seed stock I have used for years. I find the Jalapeno Early to be very hot most of the times. Hoping this year what ever happened weather wise last year does not happen again. 

This is interesting, I had the opposite problem! All of my jalapeños including the tame jalapeños were shockingly hot! I have no idea what the cause was but im thinking it has to be a climate thing? Last grow season here was long for Minnesota but also a very wet rainy summer.

Early Jalapenos for me have always been at least acceptable and sometimes very very hot for a jalapeno. I hate it when you get a bunch of duds. I had 3 Mammoth or Goliath plants one year that produced nothing but bland heatless duds. The banana peppers right next to them had more heat and better flavor.

Biker Billy are supposed to be one of the hottest and most consistent but ive never grown them.

how does jalepeno count as hot? i dont fully understand this phenomenon... why is it that some people cant even eat a jalepeno but i can chomp a ghost pepper and be fine? does this also mean that i would respond differently if peppersprayed? this is one of those things that never made sense to me...

dub_sauces said:
how does jalepeno count as hot? i dont fully understand this phenomenon... why is it that some people cant even eat a jalepeno but i can chomp a ghost pepper and be fine? does this also mean that i would respond differently if peppersprayed? this is one of those things that never made sense to me...
Tell us film you eating a ghost pepper then getting pepper sprayed...good times! 

Sometimes a random store bought jalapeño will light me up! I think sometimes annums hit differently than chinense and can seem much hotter than they would measure.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Tell us film you eating a ghost pepper then getting pepper sprayed...good times! 
not sure i want to do both at the same time... im pretty sure that would suck. I'm fine eating a ghost... I eat them almost every day in some way shape or form, but the pepper spray I'm not so sure about. my question was really just whether a tolerance for super hots means a tolerance for pepper spray. 

dub_sauces said:
not sure i want to do both at the same time... im pretty sure that would suck. I'm fine eating a ghost... I eat them almost every day in some way shape or form, but the pepper spray I'm not so sure about. my question was really just whether a tolerance for super hots means a tolerance for pepper spray. 
Short answer, no - 

Rub the ghost pepper on your private areas of course after making sure pepper is cut in 1/2.

On a serious note, it is really weird that peppers react differently with many. I have friends that can eat habs no issues but get hiccups and cant handle certain jalapenos. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Short answer, no - 

Rub the ghost pepper on your private areas of course after making sure pepper is cut in 1/2.

On a serious note, it is really weird that peppers react differently with many. I have friends that can eat habs no issues but get hiccups and cant handle certain jalapenos. 

For sure, I can barely eat any hot pepper at all, immediately upon entering my stomach what can only be described as hell begins. I ate half a red rocoto once & had the worst experience of my life, my arms went numb from my elbows down, horrible hiccups, sweating like a goddamn junkie, horrible stomach pains and after about 20-30 minutes of sitting on the toilet rocking side to side and back to front like a madman hoping I would magically pass it through my intestines in record time it calmed down. Fresh peppers are no longer entering my body but sauces are my best friend.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Short answer, no - 

you would have to pay me but i would do that... ive been deseeding and forgotten to wash my hands before having a pee (yes i did wash them after) and while it was uncomfortable it was in no way painful... it was like tiger balm or icy hot on a sore shoulder, and since the seeds and placenta of the pepper carry the most heat i cant imagine it being too much more than that... but im still not doing it :)

RocotoMan said:

For sure, I can barely eat any hot pepper at all, immediately upon entering my stomach what can only be described as hell begins. I ate half a red rocoto once & had the worst experience of my life, my arms went numb from my elbows down, horrible hiccups, sweating like a goddamn junkie, horrible stomach pains and after about 20-30 minutes of sitting on the toilet rocking side to side and back to front like a madman hoping I would magically pass it through my intestines in record time it calmed down. Fresh peppers are no longer entering my body but sauces are my best friend.

so what kind of peppers do you grow, i see you are a fellow pennsylvanian, curious what works for you in our climate

Having grown several Jalapenos over the last five years, I find no consistency of piquancy.

For example, two Jalapenos from the same plant that mature at the same time may have one being very hot, and the other with no heat at all.

The hottest, when they are hot, I have grown were the Big Guy Jalapenos from Burpee.

Back