• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Rairdog's Grow and Beer 2017

2017 Pepper list so far....before I forget lol

1.    Corno di Toro -  Red sweet bull horn
2.    Corno di Toro - Yellow sweet bull horn
3.    Pablano -  Ancho/drying for chile powder
4.    Cubanelle - Yellow-green-red sweet frying
5.    Pasilla Negro - Drying pepper w/ raisin coco for mole
6.    Mulato Isleno - Green-Choc chile relleno
7.    Aleppo - Red w/mild with sweet raisin/cumin
8.    Peppadew - Red cherry for pickling
9.    Pepperoncini Italian
10.    Serrano
11.    Aji Limon
12.    Aji Mango
13.    Aji Amarillo
14.    Yellow Rocoto -
15.    Hair Pepper - Long curly cyanne
16.    Prik Chi Faa - Red Thai
17.    Beni Highlands
18.    Cumari Do Para - Yellow small fruity
19.    Black Cobra Goats Weed
20.    Jamaican Mushroom Yellow
21.    Jamaican Mushroom Red
22.    Brazillian Starfish
23.    Orange Habanero
24.    Chocolate Habanero
25.     Yellow Tobago Scotch Bonnet
26.    Naga Morich x?  Chocolate Fat Tire
27.    EOB
28.    EOB Mustard
29.    BOC
30.    Bhut Jolokia White

The seeds were soaked in hydrogen peroxide and water 1 to 10 ratio for 24 hr, put in DE and then into propagator.  The prop is built inside the GH and over a window.  Heat mat controlled and lights for off peak sunlight.

View from inside.  There is a rev fan to balance temp.  It can get to 100 on a 50 deg day so it exchages heat with the house when above 80.  There are also brasicas and lettuce germ on the shelf below fan.  

I skipped a big garden in the hugelkutur last year and just put out melons, pole beans and banana plants.  They took off!

I built a brew station over the summer.  I only bought metal studs and a few elec/plumb parts.  The rest is free recycled parts.  The beer fridge needs some thru wall taps but I'm cheap and cleaning picnic taps is too easy.  There is a ferminator behind for the hot summer days.  I still need a bar top of some sort.  It's just cedar scraps for now.

1950's classic!   Remember the old white metal cabinet that came with these.

Remember the shower door frames on my GH.  The glass I took out is now the backplash.  Cheap pull down faucet for now.....with a bungee lol

Some glass front cabinets from a kitchen demo holds all the brew gear.

Stay tuned for hooks....peace out!

Best of luck this season!  

Is that banana a musa basjoo?  I plant a few basjoos last year - hope they come back.   

NeedsWork said:
Best of luck this season!  

Is that banana a musa basjoo?  I plant a few basjoos last year - hope they come back.   

Dwarf Cavendish.  I just bring in the pups over winter.  Let me know if those basjoo's come back.  I would like to try them in our zone.  Did you cover them with mulch well? 

Rairdog said:

Dwarf Cavendish.  I just bring in the pups over winter.  Let me know if those basjoo's come back.  I would like to try them in our zone.  Did you cover them with mulch well? 

I didn't.  I'm hoping all of the dead flowers / leaves will be sufficient.  I'll keep you posted.   ;)

Road Kill..!  This lil buck was still kickin when I went by but passed by the time I got turned around Wed 8 am.  Less than a mile from the house.  Got the sheriff tag, gutted and hanging within 30 min.  Shop was 40 f and he hung for a couple days.

De-boned tonight and had me a loin with some home made smoked powder, garlic and Tony's....and a home brew.

Grinding 20# tomorrow with 2# bacon.....and I got hooks plus....stay tuned!

Masher said:
Stopped in for a look....nice surprise seeing dinner hanging!!!

Looking good Rd :cheers:

Thanks....up potted today

No sun and cold in the GH so they went back in the chamber

Brassicas, lettuce and spinach for the early season in the AP beds

Getting crowded in the germ chamber.  Hopefully it warms up so I can make room for the tomato's.  The only thing that's sprouted in the herb tray is thyme.  Might be time for some fresh seeds. 

Here is tom list so far

2017 Tomato List         

#    qty    Type    
1        Black Cherry    
2        Tommy Toe    
3        Starfire Isis    
4        Change Li    
5        Pink Bumblebee    
6        Amherst Cream    
7        Matts Wild Cherry    
8        Dancing with Smurfs    
9        Sugar Drop    
10        Ana Marias Heart    
11        Carbon    
12        Indian Strip    
13        Cherokee Purple    
14        Martino Roma    
15        Black Brown Boar    
16        Terhune    
17        Libaugh Legacy    
18        Big Rainbow    
19        Paul Robenson    

And Beer.....it's in the subject line

Laters my friends

Snapped some pics today.  32 deg outside and 87 in the GH.  Peppers are kinda lanky due to all the overcast lately.  They're almost too tall to fit under lights.  Need too get the toms started but will wait until after this cold spell moves out.  I typically start the AP beds up on 3/15 but got an early start this year so should have a good crop of greens.  

Spinach bed

Lettuce and 1 kale lower right

Baby bok and chard

Been heating the GH with window fan from house to keep bananas going.  I was tired of bringing them in on cold nights.

Bought a crappy topper for new to me truck.  I couldn't find help to get lift it off so I just built a stand and drove the truck out.  Sprayed it with bed liner and backed the truck under.  Came out pretty good.

Peace!

Congrats on the progress..everything looks good...a bit of everything..cool.
Isn't having a GH a real ++. ?
I have a small Harbor Freight  for over 10 years now..& still growing/going strong..even in bad weather .
Keep up the good work..con't success. :P :P

wiriwiri said:
Congrats on the progress..everything looks good...a bit of everything..cool.
Isn't having a GH a real ++. ?
I have a small Harbor Freight  for over 10 years now..& still growing/going strong..even in bad weather .
Keep up the good work..con't success. :P :P

Thanks bro....GH's are awesome especially when it's cold out and toasty in there.  It keeps me motivated to get in there and do stuff. 

Is your GH attached to the home..looks like from here..I always wanted to do that with our place,as we have  sun exposure all the time..the one I have is a free standing one..
Cheers.
Sandy.

wiriwiri said:
Is your GH attached to the home..looks like from here..I always wanted to do that with our place,as we have  sun exposure all the time..the one I have is a free standing one..
Cheers.
Sandy.

Yes it is a shed type on the SSE side of the house about 10 ft up.  It is built over a window and exchanges heat with the house.  It can gain 55 deg heat whereas most usually gain 40 deg.  The sides open at bothe ends and the bottom 2 ft panels come off for the summer but it is still hard to keep it under 100 on an 80 deg day. 

The window box/germination chamber can be closed up to keep it above 60 when it get down to 0.  Top shelf is heated and top 2 have supplemental light.

Sorry I called you bro  Sandy lol.

Back