• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Savina vs West Indies Red

Going through all my seeds to plant and I realize I have seeds for both Red Savina and West Indies Red peppers.Can anyone give me a comparison between the two of them. Are they going to be a very similar pepper or do they have a great variance. If there is a big difference I will grow both, but may have to drop another pepper to do so. Trying to decide what to grow has got to be the toughest part of the season. Might have to build another garden lol.

Read this from Jim Duffy. I have no experience with the W.I. pepper

West Indies Red Habanero (Capsicum chinense) 

A super hot Red Caribbean Habanero from Antigua and Barbados. Developed and cultivated there for commercial production. Same flavor and heat as the Red Savina but also the most aromatic of the habaneros. 

This plant grows well and will reward you with an abundance of pods. Pepper pods mature to a dark red color and get up to 2 inches long by 2 inches wide.

It grows into a small low lying bush and the plant can produce almost two pounds of white pods. These seeds have been germination tested and have been grown organically in a pesticide free environment. 

At Refining Fire Chiles we isolate our seed production plants to avoid cross-pollination with other chile species. If you want to try it yourself contact us for seeds, plants (March-August) and fresh chiles (September). 

I have had both and do not really agree about the heat and flavor. I was married in Barbados and the house we stayed in for 3 weeks the backyard was all WI Red fields. I wish I still had the seeds but they also look nothing a like either. 

That is just my opinion. 

West Indies is currently my favorite hab and is nothing like the red savina, at least in my experience. The West Indies hab is larger in size, is not shaped the same, has thinner walls, is more aromatic, has a more complex and better flavor (in my opinion), and is at least as hot (if not more) than the red savina. If I had to choose one, it would be the West Indies. I am growing the CARDI version this year to see how it compares with the version I had last year.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I decided to try for 4 of each plant. I dropped a super hot as I figured 6 different ones were enough. This way if both grow and produce, I will attempt a side by side video comparison of the two.

Back