• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Serious Eats HS List

Secret aardvark, char man and big fats are ones i can vouch for, in addition to the ones noted above. Aardvark and Char are Portland OR companies, met them both at the Hot Sauce Expo in LA and PDX.  OH!  And Volcanic Peppers!  I LOVE that Aleppo sauce!!!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Very easy to do if you can source or grow jals and allow them to ripen red. I made a ton a few years back, divine 

is that whats in the store bought ones? jalepenoes are one of the few peppers i dont care for... i had no idea that was in there as i love sriracha.. i grow them alot to red just to give away

SeriousEats did a comparison of jals and fresnos and a couple different recipes to come up with the above recipe. It is an interesting read if you can find it. I made some a couple years ago and the difference was YUGE! So much better than hoy fong. As jhp said, sourcing the ripe jals is the key.

The red chiles in most stores are Fresnos, not jalapenos. I veeeery rarely find ripe jals in the stores. Maybe once a year.

salsalady said:
SeriousEats did a comparison of jals and fresnos and a couple different recipes to come up with the above recipe. It is an interesting read if you can find it. I made some a couple years ago and the difference was YUGE! So much better than hoy fong. As jhp said, sourcing the ripe jals is the key.

The red chiles in most stores are Fresnos, not jalapenos. I veeeery rarely find ripe jals in the stores. Maybe once a year.

i have loads every year as i would just grow them for others and most just sit on the plant till the plant falls over... wasnt till i started growing them that i even knew they turned red... greens all ya ever see...

HA HA HAW!!! "In this world you're either a Tapatio person or a Cholula person".

I'm a Tapatio person who uses Cholula because NOBODY KNOWS WHAT TAPATIO IS AROUND HERE, MUCH LESS STOCKS IT".

I know, I can order it on the interweb, and now I have no excuses.

hogleg said:
I would use red ripe serranos. I believe Huy Fongs og recipe was mostly serranos then they got big and it was easier to source jalapenos.

That was a long time ago it's been jalapenos for like 20 years.

stettoman said:
HA HA HAW!!! "In this world you're either a Tapatio person or a Cholula person".

I'm a Tapatio person who uses Cholula because NOBODY KNOWS WHAT TAPATIO IS AROUND HERE, MUCH LESS STOCKS IT".

I know, I can order it on the interweb, and now I have no excuses.

There's more than Bud and Coors in the world, get out there! ;)

Also remember it's a fermented sauce (Huy Fong Sriracha), you won't get the same taste w/o that.

Back