• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering first year over wintering peppers

This spring will be my second grow season, so naturally I went over board and got a 4x8 grow tend an LED light to accompany my T5 I had. no problem, ill over winter my Trinidad scorpions and ghosts and ill have monster plants new year. well, its not what I expected. can anyone tell me why my plants seem stunted? I took them in a little late in October but they were still producing pods in the cold, I cut them back and brought them inside, hey started pushing new growth almost immediately and they filled in with leaves for the most part but have not stretched out at all, they are just little bushes! i have no experience here, what do you guys think?  

If they are indoors and under lights then you're not going to be able to "over winter" then because there is no "winter" to speak of

Powelly said:
It also looks like they have unreal nutrient deficiencies but maybe it's the lighting
Well I think you missed the point of my post, I was hoping you would explain your findings and possibly even give a solution!
Can you identify said "unreal nutrient deficiency" ? I have been using fox farm grow big and tiger bloom. Occasionally ill add in cal mag and even spritz with Epsom salt infused water. Why would they not use these or am I leaving something out?
As far as overwintering goes, they sat inside without lights for about a month in November. I guess im not sure what the exact definition of over winter is. Can you enlighten me on any of this? Or are you just going to make comments with no substance?

Welcome Joe! Sorry for the poor reception above. Your Idea of Overwintering is just fine. You're surviving the winter just like me in Madison.
I'm beginning my second year growing peppers and I've kept 4 alive so far. But I don't have any high powered lights, just a south window so I'm trying to just survive till plant out. Where as you look to maybe even get some production?

its hard to tell under LED's but it looks like at least one of your plants has some really dark or black veining? That does sound like a deficiency though I'm not sure which. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in. I know somebody always posts "The Deficiency Chart" that has some nice pictures.

Please excuse Powelly above...I can guarantee that he/she doesn't represent the usual response around here.
Cheers! 

PS...What medium are you growing in? are you hydroponic DWC? PH? let us know some specifics as i'm sure others in the know will be curious to know your exact situation?

You're new here so sometimes people are not very helpful. I was new once also, so I'll try to help a bit.

First, turn off your LED and take a couple good pics and some closeups of the plants and leaves so we can see what they actually look like.

Second, in my opinion, overwintering is simply just keeping a plant(s) from last season alive through the winter until spring with natural and/or artifical light, no issues there. Some just cut them back and toss them in a cool garage or basement (not freezing) and water them like once a month, since they are not growing. Others try to keep them growing and producing pods all winter. Pods typically won't be true to size and shape unless you have really good lights though. The reason most of us cut them back is because they usually drop most of their leaves once you bring them inside anyways. I'm not sure exactly why, probably due to less light and some environmental shock from the change in light and temps.

Finally, a lot of people over complicate this whole process and end up overfeeding their plants, causing all sorts of problems. This could be part of your problem also, we'll have a better idea once you upload pics in normal lighting.

Lol, Malarky beat me too it! I'm on mobile and deleted my typed up info and had to retype lol. Thank you?

Looks like Powelly is also new...

First off welcome!

In defence of Powelly.. here in Aus what we call 'overwintering' is not taking your plants inside under lights. It doesn't snow here so we leave the plants outside and hope the frost doesn't kill them.

So it's true that taking them inside under lights is allowing them to survive winter, it also seems that it's a way of avoiding the winter weather on the plant whereas in Aus the plants just cop it. He wasn't being rude, just different interpretations of overwintering.

MnSuperHots said:
Well I think you missed the point of my post, I was hoping you would explain your findings and possibly even give a solution!

Or are you just going to make comments with no substance?
I don't think this was called for as Powelly was just trying to give leads as to where to begin looking.. such as possible nutrient deficiencies. You can't give as little info as you did in your first post and expect a solution.

Anyway moving on to your plants..

What are the temps in your growing room? And do you adjust PH of your feed water? You may have some form of nutrient lock-out. In order to diagnose the problem your plants are having we need as much info as possible. I also can't tell if your growing in hydro or soil?

Pot size can determine plant size.

If it podded up already, plant growth generally stops or slows down....it will focus on pod production.

with FF nutes, use once every two weeks is just fine....feed / water lightly so it dries out between applications.

As others have said..LED lights give off funny hues so no way to see whats really going on.

I see the plant in center is in soil....and another in pellets to the right.

Maybe replant into a larger pot (maybe not...is it in a 5gal already?)  remove pods/flowers to kick start growth......some varieties are short and bushy, some are tall and lanky as well.

In a sense, yes you over wintered, even if it was a month....I did the same with a 2 month period....killed 4 of my plants and put the last one under lights a month ago to save it.

It immediately began growing new growth....will be in prime shape for plant out this spring in late May-June.

Jase4224 said:
First off welcome!

here in Aus what we call 'overwintering' is not taking your plants inside under lights. It doesn't snow here so we leave the plants outside and hope the frost doesn't kill them.

Those of us in the "snow belt" don't have that option.....

IMG_0368_zpskiyh4sv7.jpg

So a little understanding on both sides would be helpful.......

@MnSuperHots..... My method of overwintering is to just keep 'em alive so they regrow the next season. The plant above in 2014.....

Jalapeno1_zpstvij2ufu.jpg

Then progress in 2015.......

Jalapeno3_zpsxtogu4vd.jpg

06.09.15_Jal_zpsxjxdfosa.jpg

IMG_0604_zpsn5ik6wcy.jpg

8.12.15_zps2rzrlcwc.jpg

Thanks Guys/gals
Sorry for my response last night but it seemed to me like he was just making snide comments as if to just say I dont know what im doing. (I dont obviously know everything or I wouldn't be here)

The plants are all in 5 gallon buckets with fox farm soil except for the one on the right, that CR is in DWC. They were all very large big priducers this past grow season.

Ill shut off my LEDs and take some pictures soon. I very much appreciate the time taken by those of you explaining your thoughts in detail here.

Ok im trying to fill in all the info until I can get better pictures.
Grow tent will be about 68 to 70 with lights on,and drops 10 degrees when lights are out.
I recently added a humidifier so humidity during the day is around 60 to 70% (last two weeks) and I just started to PH my water this week. I have never had an issue with ph before but I figure they might ne more sensitive to it while inside. Pics comming soon. Thanks Again!

This is not easy to do on a mobile device!
Here is a picture of one of the worse plants. Ill post more later when I ca sit down at my computer.

Hi MnSuperHots,

My reply was not meant to be snide or rude, apologies if it came out that way
If your plant is inside and under lights then the plant won't know it's winter- because the conditions are not like winter

Under those lights the plant looks like it has a magnesium deficiency- this is the yellowing with dark veins

Thanks Powelly, sorry for replying like a smart ass. I agree with the magnesium theory I started foliar feeding with Epsom salts recently and have seen some improvement. Im still not sure why the limbs wont stretch out though and the pods are small and odd shaped, maybe not sufficient light.

It's handy to check the PH of your water when growing in pots. In my case my tap water is 8.05 so over time it raises the PH of my potting mix. You can buy PH UP or PH DOWN to amend your water once you find out what it is.

Also be careful with the Epsom salts it is possible to overdo it. Personally I would repot the plants with some fresh good quality potting mix then at least you know the medium they are in is balanced.

I thought about that jase, i just recently, this last week started watering with PH adjusted water (from 7.4 to 6.5). I agree re potting may be the way to go but I have the buckets set up with a wicking system. I hole sawed a 4" hole and put a mesh basket in the hole, then I drilled 1/4" holes throughout the rest of the bottom so I have large amounts of roots hanging from the bottom of the bucket and im not sure how well a soil swap will go. I suppose ill just give it a go with one and see what happens. Or do I try to adjust the soil ph by flushing with a ph adjusted water of say 5.5 and see what happens.

Powelly, I agree on the epsom salt over dose possibility, I diluted my solution and sprayed only water after my initial application.

Im just in a rut with this indoor set up, i may be trying to do too much. I think ill start by dosing the pots with a ph water of 5.5 then let it ride for a couple weeks. I may just need to give them time. Plus im in the process of re potting 100+ seedlings!

Ahh the joys of an OCD green thumb.. ps this post was a nightmare to post on my phone lol.

Back