• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sizzles 2017 grow

Okay guys ....I have not put anything in dirt yet.....its always a big decision on what to plant when you have limited space.....I do some 5 gallon buckets and some in ground....maybe 30-35 plants is my max.
Anyways I have made my decision and here is the layout of my 72 cell tray that I will start with.
Depending on what germinates things could change.

I will be going to dirt in the next few days and will update my progress as I go.

2017 GROW.JPG

Well I keep getting a little bit earlier every year....I gave my seeds an over night soak  and then into soil on Feb 13th.

IMG_4108.JPG

I really don't like starting too early but boredom set in today.
Seeing as I have limited indoor growing space and I cannot plant out till at least the May 24 weekend,I will be topping my plants for sure,
Topping is okay because I find it much easier to harden of the second generation leaves....much hardier.

In soil and watered....onto the heat mat and the dome on.................now we wait.

IMG_4112.JPG

IMG_4117.JPG

I shall update when I see some action.

Hey I'm a Dad.......well have my first sprouts after just 5 days.......

1. Aji Verde x4
2.Aji Peruvian x4
3.Ethiopian brown berebere x2
4.Syrian Fortress x2

feb1.JPG

feb2.JPG

feb3.JPG

feb4.JPG

Dates are recorded in each cell when they pop.....here are the first 12 babies.

feb 5 b.JPG

Feb 19th a couple more babies popped.

Feb 19.JPG

Feb 21st......seeds are popping everyday...

Feb 21 Germ chart.JPG

Well I had fantastic germination rate....I am not going to post the rest of the daily germination charts.......76 cell...2 seeds per cell....first sprouts popped on Feb 18th and the last were today the 28th...10 days total.
I lost only two helmet heads and I think four that never popped..but still could happen.I have already pulled one from each cell and have narrowed my grow down to 69 plants...36 varieties....this will get a little smaller,I may settle at 40 plants.... but the plants that I don't keep from now on in will go to a good home.

Well here is a little update on how my plants are doing on March 24.....doing well..... I have had to nip the tops on a couple because I only have a few more inch's of height left under my lights...then they will all be topped a bit.I still have weeks before I can even bring them outside in my portable greenhouse to harden them off....I turned off my big heat mat to slow them down a bit now.

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4172.JPG

IMG_4174.JPG

I only had a 4 shelf portable....but this year I bought a little bigger......It comes down after my plants are in the ground...I really just use it for protection from the cold evenings because I cannot bring them in and out of the house every morning when im working....might have to put some kind of bulb in it if there is chance of frost when they are finally out for good.

Outsunny greenhouse.JPG

Back