• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fox Farms Ocean Forest?

Friday night I transplanted 8 baby ghost into solo cups. Giving the FF Ocean Forest a try this year.

Saturday morning we took a little road trip too Acuña and do a little shopping. We get back home Saturday night.

The casa smells like Chit! Mama Mag is pissed cause the stank is coming from the FFOF ( baby ghost plants).

Has a strong ammonia smell. When I watered them, didn't smell. Soil starts drying out and it starts reeking bad!

Bad Batch?

20170303_103428.jpg
20170303_125323.jpg

Plants are shriveling and turning brown.Just giving them RO water. Growing very slow, Ugh!

This time last year they were doing great in some cheap ass Home Depot soil.
20160305_155243.jpg

Their roots are probably getting burned by high pH. It might be a good idea to repot them in better soil.
     I mistakenly potted my seedlings up into hot soil last season and I lost a bunch of them. Most of the ones I transplanted into better soil recovered and grew out of it.

Jamison said:
You sure its Ocean Forest and not Happy Frog? Usually the OF has a lot more perlite in it.
It's Ocean Forest, I just added a little different soil on the top 3/4" too keep the stank down.

Or Mama Mag from thrashing them!

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:
     Their roots are probably getting burned by high pH. It might be a good idea to repot them in better soil.
     I mistakenly potted my seedlings up into hot soil last season and I lost a bunch of them. Most of the ones I transplanted into better soil recovered and grew out of it.
I thought this was some good soil.

I'm gona take your advice and scrap the Ocean Forest!

I have been potting up seedlings all week, using Ocean Forest.  Again, completely odorless.

The first ones I did are already taking off.

I believe you must have gotten a bad bag of Ocean Forest, or, perhaps a counterfeit bag?

If it were me, I would definitely be emailing Fox Farms.

Good luck.

Magged Out said:
I thought this was some good soil.

I'm gona take your advice and scrap the Ocean Forest!

It might just be a bad batch. I've never used personally, but I've only heard good things.

alkhall said:
I have been potting up seedlings all week, using Ocean Forest.  Again, completely odorless.

I believe you must have gotten a bad bag of Ocean Forest, or, perhaps a counterfeit bag?

Good luck.

+1^

alkhall said:

Good luck.
Think I'll get in touch with them! Bought it at a very nice nursery in Abilene.
20170304_163037.jpg

Could it have been an old bag of OF?  I had a bag of OF that worked well when fresh but subsequently it ended up misplaced (shoved under a shelving unit) for a little over a year.  When I tried to use it this grow season I noted that the components were much more clumped together and water wouldn't distribute easily throughout the mix; the runoff from watering was also a very dark brown and very much smelled of ammonia.  

I also switched this year to "Just Natural" as my base soil and so far my plants are loving it. I mixed it with some Light Warrior for seedlings and with a little Peat and Perlite for my adult plants. Hope this resolves your problem.

Magged Out said:
Went and grabbed a bag of Just Natural from Walmart. Looks like some good quality soil, just added a little more perlite.

2 Primos are in bad shape, hope they recover!
attachicon.gif
20170304_163704.jpg

Back