• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Garden soil for potting

Recently I got a load of garden soil delivered to fill my new garden beds. Quite a lot of soil went unused so im thinking of using it in my pots. I know I'd need to amend the soil for it to be suitable in containers, but apart from that im unsure what would be best to add. Im looking to spend as little as possible since otherwise id just go purchase potting mix.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

just buy potting mix... garden soil shouldnt make up more than 10-15% of whatever pot you're gonna put it in... most potting soils contain no soil at all.. usually 75-80% soft woodbark mulch, some compost and some perlite or vermiculate...

That's a pretty great idea. I've already got a bokashi bucket so all id need is a container to put it all in, which im sure ill find laying around somewhere. At least that way I can put the garden soil to use.

shaydy said:
That's a pretty great idea. I've already got a bokashi bucket so all id need is a container to put it all in, which im sure ill find laying around somewhere. At least that way I can put the garden soil to use.

if you are gonna go that route im sure youare gonna wanna order some worm eggs or dig up some live  critters from your garden... odds are your fresh delivered garden soil is rich in nutrients but probably lacking in all the living stuff you would need to make an effective soil factory...

thats why they say to add garden soil to start the soil factory.. they literally mean soil from your garden... to make more enriched garden soil... adding your fresh delivered garden soil to a soil factory is kind of redundant.. its already a finished product...

Back