• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Leftover Brisket...lets make stew

Sizzle Lips

Extreme Member
Yesterday was brutal cold and windy....nothing better than a hot bowl of stew.
There are many different takes on Brunswick stew........this is my take with what ingredients I had on hand.
I followed a basic recipe and substituted a couple things.........It turned out great.

The basic recipe is as follows:

Ingredients

2 large onions, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 1/2 tablespoons jarred beef soup base

2 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts

1 (28-oz.) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes

1 (12-oz.) package frozen white shoepeg or whole kernel corn

1 (12-oz.) bottle chili sauce

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon yellow mustard

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

1 pound chopped barbecued beef brisket (without sauce)

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Hot sauce (optional)

Preparation
1. Sauté onions and garlic in hot oil in a 7.5-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
2. Stir together beef soup base and 2 cups water, and add to Dutch oven. Stir in chicken and next 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 hours.
3. Uncover and shred chicken into large pieces using 2 forks. Stir in brisket and lemon juice. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.

I only used 1 lb of chicken breast but did cube up almost a whole smoked brisket point....this stew was loaded and it tasted awesome.
Did not have any Lima beans which is a staple in a Brunswick stew......like I said substitute for what I had.

bruns1.jpg

bruns2.jpg

bruns3.jpg

bruns4.jpg

bruns5.jpg

bruns6.jpg

And the final product.....a big bowl of Giddy Up!

bruns7.jpg

Back