• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

does anyone know how to make superhot pepper leaf smaller?

does anyone know how to make superhot pepper leaf smaller? i don't know why the size of all my superhot pepper leaf are too large.

here is my apocalypse pepper. height of seedling is only 9cm but the length of leaf is 12cm.

32120165163_4639ce0b37_b.jpg

32935166205_d66d41df7b_b.jpg

my jay's peach ghost scorpion
32120167913_a8fe9d19a4_b.jpg

my bhut jolokia white
32120157393_f49b1acaff_b.jpg

planted in clay soil.  water everyday in the evening.

i need smaller leaf. anyone know how?

I'm not sure if this post is asking for help,or an attempt at tooting your own horn? As mentioned,if you are concerned with your leaves touching the soil and contracting diseases,cut them off with scissors.

If you are trying to make the lower leaves of a chinense plant grow smaller or equal to the upper growth,you are going to need 5 or 10,000 years of spare time.

Pr0digal_son said:
I'm not sure if this post is asking for help,or an attempt at tooting your own horn? As mentioned,if you are concerned with your leaves touching the soil and contracting diseases,cut them off with scissors.

If you are trying to make the lower leaves of a chinense plant grow smaller or equal to the upper growth,you are going to need 5 or 10,000 years of spare time.
i would like to turn all my superhot varieties to bonsai pepper plants. large leaves are ugly. so i'd like to make them as small as possible. Is there any kind of hormone that can reduce the size of the leaf?

Malarky said:
why do you want smaller leaves?

Maybe the definition of "smaller' needs to be clear, but those mammoth size leaves on pepper plants are not desirable.(contrary to popular belief)  Typically, larger leaves are bigger in area, but lighter in weight - proportionately, if not outright - than properly developed leaves.  Rapid growth has a tendency to stretch the plant and weaken the cell walls.

Reactions: lek
lek said:
i would like to turn all my superhot varieties to bonsai pepper plants. large leaves are ugly. so i'd like to make them as small as possible. Is there any kind of hormone that can reduce the size of the leaf?

There is one called "full sun" that really helps.

I don't know what season you are in right now, but as the weather warms up, and the UV index climbs, those leaves will come back to normal size.

yah it seems like a lot of people want to train bonchi's from seedling but I'd just grow a plant out to maturity and pick a plant with an attractive trunk and foliage that you like. Cut that trunk down and let it regrow, developing the branches and foliage over time.

Like all bonsai, you need to grow the plant tall and then you bonsai it.
Otherwise you just have a stick in a pot

Just leave it in the ground for a year with plenty of nitrogen and grow it as tall as you can. Then trim it like you're overwintering it and you have bonsai
As mentioned before, if you cut the leaves off at their base leaving the stem in tact the new growth will be smaller. But only worry about that after you've cut it back down after a year

lek said:

I plant Coyote Zan white next to Jay's peach ghost scorpion but there are no large leaves.
look like It only happens to superhot variety.

32121975543_ebef992988_b.jpg

Thanks for the info. 

Coyote zan White is one I have experience with,and it's quite a bit different than your typical superhot. Leaves,prolificacy,etc.  Again,Trinidadians have enormous leaves,and they are mostly supers,but there are plenty of  standard chinense that have large leaves. Scotch Bonnet is one example.

solid7 said:

Maybe the definition of "smaller' needs to be clear, but those mammoth size leaves on pepper plants are not desirable.(contrary to popular belief)  Typically, larger leaves are bigger in area, but lighter in weight - proportionately, if not outright - than properly developed leaves.  Rapid growth has a tendency to stretch the plant and weaken the cell walls.

There is plenty of scientific info online as to why these leaves are naturally larger. I don't disagree with your comment fully,but it's not 100% accurate. 

Back