• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2/17/17 Hot Pepper Update

TheHydroScientist said:
Hey buddy I started my planted my seeds in Jan as well (12th) and have no where near the growth you do... what do you use for light and fertilizer? Any tips?

I don't do anything fancy for germination. I did tweak it just a little this year, but nothing major. I start by soaking the seeds in water. I had been soaking for about an hour, but I've noticed the last 2 years my germination rates had dropped. I soaked my second batch of seeds in warm water for about 4 to 6 hours. I then plant them in Miracle Grow seed starting potting mix. I put them in a germination dome. Just a cheap one you can buy at Wally World. I put them on a heating mat. I set the temperature to about 82 degrees. Then it's a waiting game. I purchased a  second heating mat at Wally World last year. My main mat is a Hydro Farm mat with a digital thermostat. The second mat I purchased is just a cheap mat without a thermostat. When my seeds germinated, I put them on the second mat under lights. I read some stuff last year about heat helping the root system develop. That's why I wanted to try leaving them on heat once they had germinated. In the past, once they popped, I took them off the heat mat. The lights are simple fluorescent 4 foot shop lights with 6500K bulbs. These were also bought at Wally World. I place the lights about 1 to 2 inches above the plants and leave them on around 16 hours a day. I hope this helps. Good luck and God bless!

Tim 

Peter S said:
Your plants looking great. I have some WHP plants growing as well, really nice guy to do business with. What part of NC are you in?

Thank you. I'm about 20 minutes outside of Charlotte.

Tim

Back