Norway calling!

Hey, im a fairly unexperienced chiligrower, its only my second season.  I live in Norway, north of Europe and growing season is very short.

Last year i started way too late, but ive learned quite a lot from experimenting with pruning, pot sizes and even overwintering.

This year ive 11 varieties that sprouted and one that didnt. Shame on you "Eds Yellow devil" from PuckerbuttPepperCompany.

Wow, im overwhelmed by all the comments already :) Good forum!

Ive started seeds during January and first week of February. Ive got them in double cup system, inspired by Khang Starrs youtube channel.  Have LED grow light setup, but will have to get more light probably. Question is if i should just keep them small and stirdy or try to grow them just as big as possible before taking them out.

Ive got a balconny facing southwest - west, and days are rather long here during summer, but little heat. 18-24 degrees normally during June-August.

Ive got another option im considering, and its in the basement where it is a heatingsystem for huge buildings. Temperature there is 25-40 degrees and just need to add light. Kinda worried the plants will get shocked if i move them outside from that temperature.

I live in a house with four apartments and we do have a small garden for everyone to use, might get a spot along a wall facing south.

your building BASEMENT reaches 40c? forgive me and my heathen imperial measurements... but isnt that like 90f?

god damn thats hot for any equipment room... makes me sad. sounds like your building needs a new boiler =(. new boilers are so efficient... so efficient that they can use PVC and ABS for the flue gases because the waste heat is microscopic.

or many u just have a shit load of cloths dryers down there?

anyway regardless... shock is more of an issue with light intensity imo, though i grant ive never had plants indoors at high temps then moved them outside to low temps.

i think they would probably do reasonably well in the basement so long as the highest temps are not for hours on end.

Its and industiral building, not at home. Fairly small room for huge heatsources.

Ill give it a try with a few different varieties and see how it works out. Just need to find reasonable lightsources for it, since its a startup project.

These are my current growing varieties:

Carolina Reaper
Bhut Jolokia
Maldivian Heart
Habanero Red (From fruit i bought at market)
Tapas
Tricolour
Indonesian Red chili (From dried fruits some friends brought me)
Bhutlah Red CS
Jes` Muranga X Red
Scotch Bonnet Chocolate
Adorno

Any suggestions on which would do best in the heat?

in my experiance, annums and chins do the WORST in the heat not the best... though this is a general rule and there are exceptions... for example the jalapenos i have tried while annums, DO seem to do much better in the heat than bells and big jims and bananna peppers etc.

frutenses are not phased by the heat in my experiance... but they are unruly plants... truely uncivilized, branches everywhere, 5' tall bushes... thousands of flowers hundreds of pods etc.

we are talking texas heat btw. average high temps in the upper 90's with full blast humidity.

ive only grown one baccatum, and it did very well in the heat too. again though, very uncivilized plants. more so than the frutenses ive grown. long leggy branches huge bushes smallish pods everywhere.

i really like the more civilized and managable/organized look of a good ole fashioned chin plant... bih jolokia for example. stubby fat trunk, and a mushroomed canopy that is very branchy and less leggy... easy to prune etc. but they just are not productive and stunt in the heat here.

maby someone else can chime in on the specific varieties, but again id put the frutenses and baccatums in the heat, and put the annums and chins in your balcony where it is cooler... through a little experimentation is never a bad idea.

Ah, too bad if its not going to work out very well with Chinense. I generally prefer them, so far at least. Have a bunch of varieries i havent started.

A list of those i havent started.
Annums : Berbere brown, Mols red stripe, Mini Piperka,Guinqilla and Purple Tiger.
Baccatums: Aji Amarillo, Red Pumpkin, Aji Champion, Aji Norteno
Chinense: Bhutlah Bublegum Chocolate, Habanero white bumpy, Murupi Amarelia, Habanero Pointed Mustard, Lisa Fat, Yellow Scorpion SR,  Moruga Yellow, Taxas Roach, Chiero Roxa , Tonga orange and  Biouinho Airetama.
Moranga crosses (Chinense also): Jes` Moranga cross green/peach, green/red

Thanks Nulle. You are also living in rather cold climate...which chilies have you had most success with? Denmark is a bit warmer, but usually more windy, so i guess its also rough on the chilies?

ThomasNOR said:
Ah, too bad if its not going to work out very well with Chinense. I generally prefer them, so far at least. Have a bunch of varieries i havent started.

A list of those i havent started.
Annums : Berbere brown, Mols red stripe, Mini Piperka,Guinqilla and Purple Tiger.
Baccatums: Aji Amarillo, Red Pumpkin, Aji Champion, Aji Norteno
Chinense: Bhutlah Bublegum Chocolate, Habanero white bumpy, Murupi Amarelia, Habanero Pointed Mustard, Lisa Fat, Yellow Scorpion SR,  Moruga Yellow, Taxas Roach, Chiero Roxa , Tonga orange and  Biouinho Airetama.
Moranga crosses (Chinense also): Jes` Moranga cross green/peach, green/red

My grow room gets up to 95°f twice a day and I am growing 95% chinense. temps drop down to 77°f or so during lights out. You will just need to manage hydration and control humidity levels with high temps. A fan does wonders in conditions such as those.

Thanks!

A fan was just added to my to get list! Last post gave me a little hope ill do well in that basement. With proper care they might even turn out to be a lot stronger than the ones i have in my guestroom. Its around 26 degrees in that little room 24/7

20170218_220354.jpg

Back