• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Cost of Passport Photos ..A Rip-off

So I am about to renew the old passport & saw CVS ad ..so called to find out it's 13 bucks for 2 PP photos....same with Walgreens.

I don't have a Cosco near me,Walmart @ $7.44   is  the best option so far!

These drug store chains  do take "MARKING UP" to a whole 'nother level :shame:

wiriwiri said:
So I am about to renew the old passport & saw CVS ad ..so called to find out it's 13 bucks for 2 PP photos..if that isn't highway robbery I don't know what else to call it...same with Walgreens.

I don't have a Cosco near me,Walmart @ $7.44   is  the cheapest option so far..still checking!

These drug store chains  do take "MARKING UP" to a whole 'nother level :shame:

Here where I live I can walk into the Post Office and they do it all, pictures and processing it as well as sending it off. 

You can do it yourself you know...

I wound up paying 13 bucks at walgreens a few years ago.  I didn't really care at the time because I really needed the passport.....  which is what the retailers are banking on when they sell you those photos.

Ive taken my own pics and had them printed for other ID's, I think/thought passport photos need a seal from a qualified vendor.

Back in 1985, Glamour Shots charged me $89 for a 15 pic variety size pack. I gave the 24 X 36 to my mom.

IMG_1268.JPG

They do have specs as far as overall size, and the head must fill up the space to a certain percentage.  But it can be done by yourself.  WallyWorld is 40 miles away, if they even do passport photos there, and the kid needs to get his updated.

I don't see the big deal. It's not just two pictures it's a service and a human taking the pic, printing, and cutting, and you pay a fee. If you don't like the fee do it yourself.

now, thinking back on it, when we had a photo print shop in town that did passport photos, I think it was $20 per person....

You guys are getting a great deal at $13!!!

edit-
Again, it's the ol' convenience thing.  We could of drove 40-80 miles to another place, one-way, but at what cost for time and gas?  We don't have a good quality color printer at home, so even if we try to take pics ourselves, I'll have to put them on a flash drive, up to town to the business store, have them print 'em out on photo paper, check dimensions, reprint if needed...... 

I'm in agreement w wiriwiri re: exhorbitant charges.  Jewel (local grocery chain) charged me $12 for 2 passport photos back in 08, which I thought was fkn outrageous.  I paid it because I needed them *now* for my passport documents.  Generally the longer it takes to sell something the more it costs, and considering I went there and had them done in about 20 mins it was worth the $6 per pic.  Yeah it's a ripoff but you're paying for the convenience and quickness more than the photo paper. 

I did mine myself that way could pick out best pic, cut them to size, done.

SmokenFire said:
....convenience and quickness.... 
exactly...  convenience store prices for beer, cigs, milk, chips.....more than the supermarket......

Back