• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Tandoori Chicken meet Chicken Tikka Masala

Well sort of.....

Chicken thighs are marinating now with a little rice bran oil and homemade tandoori masala. Its "sort of" because i skipped a critical part.....the yogurt. The reason i skipped it is because im going to partially cook the thighs on my new grill and then transfer them to a pan of tikka masala. The thighs will simmer in the tikka masala sauce with some onions, probably add some peas and paneer also....Have to double check the fridge.....might have something else that would be nice too.

I like to add 2 items to some of my masalas that are not in most of them, fried garlic and fried shallots. I think it turned out great so i made enough to try with the more traditional yogurt marinade, Mine wont turn out as red but i did add some annatto powder to help a little.

Yeah and you guessed it...no pics yet....Im such a tease. :D

Its coming along
P1020509_zpspshuuymu.jpg

My nifty new grill
P1020514_zps4hjmkees.jpg

And yes the pan did get washed before putting the chicken back in it.
P1020518_zpsavyxn5xn.jpg

Just needs to simmer for a little bit. Using jasmine as the usual rice i prefer with curry type foods.

I might just be finished paying to eat this at a restaurant. Mine aint half bad and i have a better idea what is in it too. :D

Paneer went in
P1020519_zpsil5zfa0s.jpg

Couple minutes later the peas and some of the cilantro were added.
P1020521_zpspdbpsxvc.jpg

It was so pretty i took it outside for natural lighting. :D
P1020522_zps1jhknheq.jpg

P1020523_zpsrne9j03r.jpg

I could never eat indian and forget breads that's like eating a burger and forgetting the patty.

Ive got a couple leftovers for today. I wont forget this time. :D

I think some rogan josh made with goat might be next on my list. I just hate paying the price for goat. I can get it cheaper if i buy a whole leg. The Indian place i go to makes the most awesome goat "curry" ive had and its very spicy. Hotter than anything else ive eaten there. It really irks me its so expensive when i can buy a live one for around $40 if i want to drive to my buddies place in the Black Hills of SD. :D

If you still have chicken make some jalfrezi and this time make the bread, that dish is great like Indian fajitas... make some raita and sauces... and kick it up a notch with superhots... :shocked:

Ive got 2 more packs of thighs and wings. Getting some yogurt today for a more traditional Tandoori chicken. The masala im using is quite a bit hotter than the Tandoori chicken ive tried. Im not usually a huge fan of tandoori because i usually find it to be a tiny bit bland for Indian cuisine. Im sure mine wont be bland. I used a mix of gochu and some Indian pepper flakes i bought. They were supposed to be a little hotter than the other Swad brand pepper powders.

Thighs were put in a marinade lastnite.

Tandoori marinade:
5oz of non fat Greek yogurt
Juice from one small lemon
Several TBSs of homemade Tandoori masala...didn't measure...added enough so it was a thick paste.
About a Tbs of fenugreek leaves
1/2 Tsp salt...probably add some more to the chicken just before it goes on the grill
Almost a Tbs of honey to take the edge off the lemon juice. Its far from being sweet
1/2 Tsp of paprika.
1/2 Tsp Indian pepper flakes
1 Tsp ginger garlic paste

That was enough for 8 thighs with some leftover. The marinade smells awesome.
P1020525_zps5aqpkhq1.jpg

Looks delicious! I like when it cooks with lemons on onions on top... but that looks killer!

Back