• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2 questions

Hey I'm growing in FFOF, no extra nutes yet. Bottom watering with tap water. I unfortunately do not know my pH. Growing under 6 T12 tubes for 12hron/off. Basement temp is about 63F with the fan blowing for 12hrs.

#1. is this just a mutant? its the odd man out of my 3 Judy's Peach Bhut.
RNWx8UT.jpg

JI9YVCk.jpg

#2. What could cause the leaves to curl and roll under? The edge of the leaf is just rolling up right underneath. its happening to a couple C.pubescens. One aji Amarillo did this too but it grew out of it.  Is this too much moisture? temp? pH? 
xhV3ey2.jpg

0W7pASX.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Malarky said:
Hey I'm growing in FFOF, no extra nutes yet. Bottom watering with tap water. I unfortunately do not know my pH. Growing under 6 T12 tubes for 12hron/off. Basement temp is about 63F with the fan blowing for 12hrs.

#1. is this just a mutant? its the odd man out of my 3 Judy's Peach Bhut.

#2. What could cause the leaves to curl and roll under? The edge of the leaf is just rolling up right underneath. its happening to a couple C.pubescens. One aji Amarillo did this too but it grew out of it.  Is this too much moisture? temp? pH? 

Thanks for the help!
Hey Malarky, I don't know if you've seen my Glog or not, but I'm experiencing similar symptoms this year. But I built a grow box and keep it around 81F inside. I was experiencing downward leaf curl on my jalapeños only, but got some fans (which you already have) and that seems to have improved the curl for me. It could be the lower temps maybe. However I also have lots of other "mutant" plants. Some are fine, others are growing very funky leaves or mangled leaves. A couple are yellowish also.

I think my issue may be PH related. Haven't tested soil or water yet though.

Here is a couple of mine...

bf0e703cc7f0ce217ff31d0cf5cfcefe.jpg

69b01d35dd717157dff5d17104b28b52.jpg

But then others are also perfectly fine... doesn't make sense.

81a977180dc6e607ca1b433b6ac2296a.jpg

090232891ba8e93863453969e8117fe9.jpg

I'm going to get a cheap PH test kit and test my pH tonight and I'll let you know what I find, maybe we can figure out our Issues at the same time.

I'm getting the same leaf curl on my Aji Oro. It's shown up every year so far and hasn't been a problem long-term. My soil pH is neutral, and between the three of us we've covered a pretty good temperature range... I wonder if it has anything to do with humidity? It's pretty dry down in my cellar during the winter.

I have something similar. Habanero plant is growing like crazy at the moment and I'm feeding it very weak organic fert solution and top dress with mushroom compost. I water with tap water. 

I was getting calcium deficient new growth (those stereotypical round leaves instead of pepper looking ones) and so I switched from the hydroponic nutrients to the organic stuff and the new growth is now curling up. Plant doesn't seem to care though and still has a lot of healthy growth on it and is putting on significant length

I'll grab some pictures later today

Powelly said:

I recently had a mild spider mite infestation and the signs were quite similar. I topped it, washed it and separated it from the rest, the plant is ok now, luckily. Just to be safe check closely under the leaves with a magnifying glass. Specially if the weather has been very hot.

Back