• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

is it possible to connect 1 more main root to pepper plant?

is it possible to connect 1 more root to pepper plant?  single plant with 2 main roots.
anyone try this before?

People have done the opposite by grafting multiple kinds of pepper plants onto one main stem/root system.

What would the benefit be from having 2 main root systems?

I assume you are talking about bonsai pepper plants, and want to improve your nebari, or roots over rock, or something.

You'd probably be better off posting in a bonsai forum, if that's what you're looking for. They may not be as knowledgable about pepper plants, but would be more familiar with the techniques you're asking about.

I'm not saying you shouldn't post here...you just might get more feedback somewhere else.

Reactions: lek
U)<now said:
People have done the opposite by grafting multiple kinds of pepper plants onto one main stem/root system.

What would the benefit be from having 2 main root systems?

weight and size.   super large fruit. 

Jubnat said:
I assume you are talking about bonsai pepper plants, and want to improve your nebari, or roots over rock, or something.

You'd probably be better off posting in a bonsai forum, if that's what you're looking for. They may not be as knowledgable about pepper plants, but would be more familiar with the techniques you're asking about.

I'm not saying you shouldn't post here...you just might get more feedback somewhere else.

nope it's not about bonsai.   i know that some people can fuse multiple stems to make big bonsai trunk but i'm not talking about bonsai.   

if you're expert in growing melon, you will know that some people use this technique to create big melon.  
so i wonder whether this technique can be applied to pepper plant or not.

You mean... Grafting a second tap root?

Melons are often grafted to a different root-stock, yes, as are fruit trees etc but this is about hardiness, resistance, etc etc. And they are trees. I've never heard of anyone grafting a tap-root. It seems like it would be a hindrance (if even remotely possible).

Reactions: lek
You would be better off laying the stem over in the soil creating multiple roots off the stem then grafting another root system in.  The plant can only take up so many nutrients from the soil directly below it so creating roots along a linear section of soil would in theory allow more roots contact with more soil thus allowing more nutrients into the system (In theory)

RaelThomas said:
You mean... Grafting a second tap root?

Melons are often grafted to a different root-stock

this is the first step of how to grow premium quality melon.  
33061656946_fed99894d1_z.jpg

In the second pic I can see that both melon seedlings are tied together, and I'm assuming that once they attach permanently the growing tip of one of them is removed effectively leaving one plant with two sets of roots..?

In researching lek's idea, single plant with 2 main roots, and method, this is the first step of how to grow premium quality melon, it is usually done to grow a plant with the desirable trait to a root from a disease resistant plant, Techniques for Melon Grafting:

By physically conjoining a plant with desirable fruit characteristics (called a scion) onto another plant with specific disease resistance or stress tolerance (called a rootstock), grafted plants combine the beneficial characteristics of both the rootstock and scion cultivars.

But the resultant plant only has the one root.

F1.medium.gif

Powelly said:
Try it 
I'm genuinely interested to see how this plays out
+1  And that link reports it is done with peppers, NECM....

Grafting as a cultural practice for controlling soilborne diseases and improving abiotic stress tolerance has been widely used in the production of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.), eggplant (Solanum melongena L.), pepper (Capsicum annuum L.), watermelon (Citrullus lanatus [Thunb.] Matsum. & Nakai), melon (Cucumis melo L.), and cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.)

`https://www.google.com/search?q=grafting+melon+seedlings&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS725US725&oq=grafting+melon+seedlings&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.29403j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

By physically conjoining a plant with desirable fruit characteristics (called a scion) onto another plant with specific disease resistance or stress tolerance (called a rootstock), grafted plants combine the beneficial characteristics of both the rootstock and scion cultivars.

nope. it's completely different method.  

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
In researching lek's idea, single plant with 2 main roots, and method, this is the first step of how to grow premium quality melon, it is usually done to grow a plant with the desirable trait to a root from a disease resistant plant, Techniques for Melon Grafting:

F1.medium.gif

+1  And that link reports it is done with peppers, NECM....

Grafting as a cultural practice for controlling soilborne diseases and improving abiotic stress tolerance has been widely used in the production of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.), eggplant (Solanum melongena L.), pepper (Capsicum annuum L.), watermelon (Citrullus lanatus [Thunb.] Matsum. & Nakai), melon (Cucumis melo L.), and cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.)

`https://www.google.com/search?q=grafting+melon+seedlings&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS725US725&oq=grafting+melon+seedlings&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.29403j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Interesting, I would be totally interested in conjoining two plants but allowing one of the plants to keep both root systems. So I wouldn't be doing it for the disease resistance but just to see what twice the roots does for the plant in the long term and how it compares to the other plants. Just for fun and curiosity really.

I'd have thought that the time taken for the graft to set would completely out-weigh any benefit (if there is any) of having two root systems. Particularly if the plant is grown as an annual.

But that's just my hunch.

lek said:
is it possible to connect 1 more root to pepper plant?  single plant with 2 main roots.
anyone try this before?

this is call -> MULTIPLE ROOTSTOCK TECHNOLOGY or (double rootstock)
just google for it

Back