• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

CAP 501

Anyone grow these before or currently?  I got 2/3 cells to pop and the second and third set of leaves are purplish.  Just wondering if that is normal.  Doesn't seem that way on the mature plants of the pics on the pepperlover.com site.  Just wondering if I got a cross going or something...

Yes, I have. As a matter of fact I put some cap 501 seed in the past seed trains.
As I recall, I think these plants did tend to express purple here and there. The fruit I rememmber all too well though. Looked like little red tic tacs. And fiery they were!

CAPCOM said:
Yes, I have. As a matter of fact I put some cap 501 seed in the past seed trains.
As I recall, I think these plants did tend to express purple here and there. The fruit I rememmber all too well though. Looked like little red tic tacs. And fiery they were!
Yep, that is where I got the seeds from.  Your aweseome seed trains.  Thanks very much!

Excellent!  I am also growing CAP 691 which are tiny hotties as well.  I look forward to comparing them.  I guess the 691 is a chinense and the 501 is a chacoense.   I am definitely looking forward to this season!

bpiela said:
Excellent!  I am also growing CAP 691 which are tiny hotties as well.  I look forward to comparing them.  I guess the 691 is a chinense and the 501 is a chacoense.   I am definitely looking forward to this season!

Did you plant cumari do para?  If you got cap 501 and 691 you will want something mild and flavorful for some variety.

CAPCOM said:

Did you plant cumari do para?  If you got cap 501 and 691 you will want something mild and flavorful for some variety.

I did grow that last year and I enjoyed it.  I am overwintering it, although it is struggling.  I can always pick up another plant from Juanitos if all else fails.

Some mild purpling in young plants is normal depending on your conditions. CAP 501 is a run-of-the-mill C.chacoense and will not grow purple til maturity if the seeds are pure.

Cool.  Here is a pic of what I am talking about, although the lighting isn't that great.  I am just destined to take poor photos always...  :rolleyes:
I put my two CAP 501's between a CAP 1144 and a CAP 691 just to show leaf color difference.  I know they are from different pepper families.

3oacXVe.jpg

Hopefully, they will grow out of their purpliness and be a run of the mill Chacoense.  I have never grown one before so that is what I am hoping to get.  But, if it is a cross, it will be fun to see what comes out of it.

Just for your information. The cap 501 was OP and not far away for a couple Pimenta denydes, a Pimenta lisa, a Pimenta puma a Yaki brown and a dog turd. All of which express purple foliage early on in their growth.

Back