• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Wheres all the Rabbit Lovers

Sizzle Lips

Extreme Member
One of my favorite things ...Rabbit on the BGE......Bought a nice fresh rabbit and washed it up and patted it dry.I marinated it for 10 hours in a Presidents Choice citrus marinade...this works fantastic on rabbit.

Rab 1.JPG

Rab 2.JPG

Rab 3.JPG

Rab 4.JPG

I fired up the BGE with some lump charcoal and 4 blocks of cherry for a little added smoke flavor....I had the plate setter in the egg so I could cook with an indirect heat.
Rabbit being so lean I like to brush it with a little evoo halfway through the cook for some added moisture and it browns up the skin a little.
I cooked it for an hour at 375-400 degrees....internal temp of 170 is where I like it.
I served it with some fresh green salad and rice balls.

Rab 5.JPG

Rab 6.JPG

Rab 7.JPG

Rab 8.JPG

Rab 9.JPG

Rab 10.JPG

MeatHead1313 said:
Man that looks awesome! I love rabbit, but rarely have it as it's too damn expensive down here to justify buying it.

I know what you mean about the price....Years ago you could buy fresh rabbit for $8-10 apiece....now its $22.

That looks delicious! I used to eat a lot of cottontail rabbit when I lived in New Mexico. There is basically an unlimited supply in the desert. You can only hunt them to eat during certain times of the year due to the risk of bubonic carrying fleas on their fur, though.

I am not a big fan of wild rabbit...I pretty much stick with nice corn fed raised rabbits......At one time every Italian that I worked with would raise them in their backyards......city put a stop to all the backyard farmers.....My sister lives north of the city and has chickens....trying to talk her into rabbits but she wants no part of that.

FreeportBum said:
Looks great ^^ I love Rabbit, my Grandmother use to make a rabbit stew once a week when I was younger. It's gotten really hard to find and expensive here. I can get like 4-5 fresh lobsters for the price of a rabbit. Cheers 
rabbit for lobster , cool !   yeah their a little pricy , its the feed thats doing it     :party:

We raise rabbits and for just there feed pellets will cost u 30$ a year not counting hay and fresh veggies.
The goal is 5lbs in 3 months.

SavinaRed said:
What kind of rabbit did you make-jack, cotton etc ??

BTW it looks like the BOMB !

Im guessing its just a plain old domestic farm raised rabbit I bought at the supermarket....they are tasty.

Back