• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa and the better late then never New Zealand Summer

So things have been slow ...I have been slow to get things going with my plants... Summer has officially arrived weather wise in the last week only to officially finish technically in 2 days time ... Its been cool and wet ...

My glasshouse after some wild winds combined with UV damage on old plastic has rendered it useless for now.

I had a few overwinters which I planted out. A few overwinters which are still in little pots which are finally away now. And a few new plants outside as well.

All in all I will be lucky to get any ripe pods this year. (Although plans are afoot for some lights and DWC buckets for an experimental winter grow for this hydroponic vigin [emoji1] )

List of current plants:
Chinense:

7 pot Primo x 2
Douglah 'Alphanerdz'
Bih Jolokia x 2
7 pot Yellow x 2
7 pot White
7 pot Bubblegum
White Fatalii
Yellow Fatalii
Yellow Bhut Jolokia x Fatalii f3
Bahamian Goat
Bhut jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut jolokia peach
Jonahs Yellow Brain
Nebru
My own cross as F3 x2
My own cross as F5 x 4
Scotch Bonnet Choc
Scotch Bonnet TFM
1 unknown I lost the label on

Pubescens:

Aji Oro
Ecuadorian Sweet x 2
Costa Rican Red
Red Rocoto Peruvian MKT (Paul G) x2

Annuums:

Hot Fish pepper
Jalapeño 'cracked'
Albanian Red hot
Cumra Cherry
Pasilo Bajio (spelling?)

Edit: more to come just have to actually see what I have and take some snaps

Some quick snaps off my phone

9774b5293186e95e1a8f2de98e8cdf05.jpg

Some of my overwinters still in pots

eb0723b362d5026219f0dca6a8ab20df.jpg

My cross f3

7c7142e6cbfc9d9e62734e77f3bf2392.jpg

My cross F5 (seed sent back from PaulG)

cf9b929c7f72c413102c41d168bdd6fe.jpg

Some more of the f5s

08edabd092d6d812bd0082cca3d8ea53.jpg

Hot Fish (2 seed sources one with decent variegation is my own saved seed originally from junglerain)

More to come...

OCD Chilehead said:
Beautiful looking plants, Trippa.

Can't wait to see some pods.

Good luck!
Cheers bro ... I will need the luck to get some ripe pods for sure!

4051349cb1b4682df3256634fd400fa8.jpg

My herb garden where I stuck some late new season starts ... All Chinense ... Just starting to flower

3f5ca9237ce274956852ff8e2a263ac8.jpg

Ecuadorian sweet pubescen

04b601fd8c20557213a72c392dd8c7ba.jpg

Bih Jolokia ... Another late season start

e2142f1a90c70ea26dcbdb373cf5c6fb.jpg

7 pot White

6b23f962ba777bcb2646a966171ee546.jpg

7 pot yellow overwinter

5bdae111c145a27b8fa727e2785b363e.jpg

7 pot Bubblegum late new season

a3d1c6e4b8b72915c4ef99528b144f98.jpg

Douglah 'alphanerdz' over winter

74448035daad49f6e011181e84acadbe.jpg

Chinense superhot (lost the label)

c751123ab22e015727f1bc68ef4a2de4.jpg

Choc Bhut Jolokia overwinter

389579116a40262c5f10a68561d4c73b.jpg

Red Rocoto Peruvian MKT overwinter (PaulG) Pubescen

ad349e8cc374205b6565b8881a2dadde.jpg

Costa Rican Red Pubescen

OCD Chilehead said:
Nice looking pubescen. Lots of flowers and some pods as well. You should get something from that for sure.

When does your season usually end?
To be honest our season could be over within 60 days ... Mean first frost date is around the end of May ... Growth would likely have stopped at least 30 days before that ... Not sure I have the time to get ripe pods ... Its been a bizzare few months of weather though ... Snow low down on Mount Taranaki (local mountain) in the middle of Summer Jan 10th ... Usually last snow is October or November... And officially 3rd coldest January here since 1844

Hey, buddy, glad to see you back in the glogosphere
again!  Your plants look great - I hope you get a stretch
of decent weather to bring on a few pods, but your plans
for some new lights and DWC buckets might help the cause!  

And those F5z look awesome!

Good luck going forward, my friend!

PaulG said:
Hey, buddy, glad to see you back in the glogosphere
again!  Your plants look great - I hope you get a stretch
of decent weather to bring on a few pods, but your plans
for some new lights and DWC buckets might help the cause!  

And those F5z look awesome!

Good luck going forward, my friend!
Cheers Paul!!

Well the f5s look good all thanks to yourself helping with the grow out and getting some great genetics selected!

c775757bec0fddee4b587738faa7c2ad.jpg

The rather rough looking vege patch this year

aaf8b6cc4322d3a98af514ee037c13c2.jpg

Ecuadorian sweet pods and flowers ... Starting to load up

385942ac27c691be5de2bf046f03d922.jpg

Costa Rican red ... Biggest pod so far around 5cm long

781b5fced8a3b263fab2cca90e5e5f99.jpg

Red Rocoto Peruvian MKT ... Lots of flowers but only 1-2 set so far

1a11e1ce15051dba3510058270504701.jpg

Choc Bhut Jolokia ...lots of flowers coming on ... No pods yet

stickman said:
Your in-ground plants look pretty good despite the rough weather you've gotten Tristan... especially the Pubes. I hope you get a break this season and manage a harvest. If you need any of the seeds I have, just let me know. :)
Cheers Rick!
Yeah the Chinense have really taken off in the past two weeks and the pubescens obviously like our climate even more.
I am thinking of going even bigger on the pubescens next season for that very reason. However there isn't as much variety in their looks which is what I like about the Chinense.
Should also up my Annuums for shorter production times no doubt.

Thanks for the offer on the seeds ... Will let you know ... I am determined to make sure I start early this year (July) so they can hit the ground running

Pr0digal_son said:
Nice Tripps!! I didn't know you moved back to New Zealand. I haven't really paid attention to Glogs much in the last few years though.
Thanks bro and thanks for stopping in...Yeah ... We made the move almost 2 years ago. Last season I never really got any glog going and the start of this season I was away for close to two months in bits and pieces... hence late starts and garden deprivation coupled with a terrible January and start of Feb weather wise I have been on the back foot!

1646bc9c8e9e500c83387b38f97ab643.jpg

Finished our raised planters in spring (only took me a year [emoji2] ) but they get quite a bit of wind from the prevailing westerly we are at around 200m/660feet elevation here on a ridge so it is often pretty windy

937619c9fce9b0b8edb0a23ce77817c2.jpg

fc5b2795df3ee7a4e32a4ba7f7303504.jpg

The greenhouse ... Which needs a cleanout and a re-roof with clear panels.. Was used years ago to grow orchids (floodable floor with boardwalks and diffuse light panels along with thermostat controlled beds in the back for seedlings -which are not functional at the moment)
Has lights and power connected so its a good base to work on.

187703a059ef8529b5a2538db99069c4.jpg

Might get some corn this year by the looks but the outdoor tomatoes are a bust ... Need the greenhouse functional for them

2bbad6bb4f38c5b7d8e13a30bfaba7f9.jpg

Lots of my time is now taken up by brewing ... First season hops (these are Green bullet) ... They haven't liked the weather either

THP hasn't been the same without the Tripper on board!
Looking forward to many more seasons of your grows,
my friend!  You should have great fun rehabbing that
greenhouse - sounds like it will be a deluxe operation
once you get it going again!  The NZ Chili King title will
be yours, then!

The off weather seems to be suiting your 
c. pubescens varieties, Tristen, they look great!  
Here's to a strong finish to your season!

PaulG said:
THP hasn't been the same without the Tripper on board!
Looking forward to many more seasons of your grows,
my friend!  You should have great fun rehabbing that
greenhouse - sounds like it will be a deluxe operation
once you get it going again!  The NZ Chili King title will
be yours, then!

The off weather seems to be suiting your 
c. pubescens varieties, Tristen, they look great!  
Here's to a strong finish to your season!
Cheers Paul! I have certainly been slack on both my chilli's and posting here that's for sure. Good to be back . thanks for the good luck!
I am hoping for an Indian Summer and I might get some production.
I may buy/build some mini greenhouses over my in ground plants to try to extend the ripening window at a later date.
My biggest issue will be night time temps dropping stopping pod set from here on in on the Chinense.
Yeah my Grandad built that greenhouse in the 70s ... He was a bit of a guru ... Used to be filled to the brim with orchids and other humidity loving plants all on shelving ... Used to amazing as a kid walking above the flooded floors among all the plants.
Its actually made me look at trying my hand at orchids as well ... Maybe once I have my chilli operations sussed [emoji2]

What a nice greenhouse... will you be replacing the translucent panels with polycarbonate or glass?  I wonder if planting a windbreak along the fence line I see would help with the prevailing winds? If it were placed far enough away it shouldn't block the sun to the plants in the raised beds unless it's coming from an extremely low angle. It would block the view of the pasture below though... would that matter?

Jase4224 said:
Beautiful yard mate, looks like you have awesome potential for growing. Good luck
Cheers for stopping in bro! Yeah good potential for sure ... I think I just have to make sure I have things planted out early and pray to the weather for a good Summer next and get my greenhouse sorted to hedge my bets.
stickman said:
What a nice greenhouse... will you be replacing the translucent panels with polycarbonate or glass?  I wonder if planting a windbreak along the fence line I see would help with the prevailing winds? If it were placed far enough away it shouldn't block the sun to the plants in the raised beds unless it's coming from an extremely low angle. It would block the view of the pasture below though... would that matter?
Cheers Rick!
I think because of cost we will reroof only at this point ... The side panels are all intact and will help stop it getting too hot / cold(as this was a factor in the original greenhouse for my grandad )
Looking at using commercial horticultural plastic which has anti condensation and a life of 10years against UV damage. $300 vs around $3000 for polycarb clear sheets (its a big roof approx 12m long x 8m wide)
Yeah I have thought about planting that area with a low hedge but its only a small portion of the problem unfortunately ... It would cut the prevailing westerlies wind down a little which would be a great start but i am not sure it would be enough to cut it that far back. I can't plant a tall hedge or we would lose too much light esp in Winter. Our strongest winds often blow from the SW and N and NW ... Its something I just have to deal with by creating micro climates of mini dells in the garden

RaelThomas said:
That's a great space you have there, Trippa. Beautiful.

Hops! Awesome
Cheers bro! Thanks for stopping in. Yeah its a good space for sure ... That's about 1/2 of it in the pictures. Yeah the hops will hopefully come good next year.
Datil said:
Plants look great Trippa!
Congrats for the beautiful spot and best of luck for a long warm season!

Datil

Cheers!! And thanks for stopping in! I hope the season extends out as well ... Fingers crossed!

Does anyone have a tried and proven refrigerator cold pickle recipe I could use ... I just picked a bunch of cucumbers and would love to make some pickles without canning/sterilisation

Back