• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Pube Or Frutescens?

Is anyone able to ID this for me please?...This is supposed to be my Rocoto plant i posted in another topic that has now started to fruit.
I germinated the "Rocoto" seed under lights along side some "Bangalore Torpedo Chilli" (C. Frutescens)seeds but the Bangalore's never even made it outside. I germinated no other Pube's this season.
As you can see the plant has masses of violet/purple flowers on, the leaves are very smooth,shiny and are hairless, they are almost identical if not identical to my Thai's except the new growth on the "Pube" has patches of Purple on with the branches very vine like.
The friuts are long and very slender tapering to quite a sharp point, they emerge dark purple almost turning black in colour.

Thanks.
bang1.jpg

rocot1.jpg

rocotoaaa.jpg

Hotrod64 said:
Thanks,
It's only been fruiting for less than a week.....so i have a long wait yet before ripe pods.

Seeds will ultimately tell because pubes will not cross with anything that is not also a pube.
Hair is not an all determining trait. Flowers are more telling but not always conclusive.
Examples are Serranos and Black scorpion tongue. But seed color never lies.

DSC00547.JPG

DSC00579.JPG

Based on the plant, it looks like annuum or annuum cross like people above have said. The way the plant is growing is how my thais and cayennes have grown, and the slender pepper as well as calyx appears similar. I'd say the purple on the pods is sunburn. 

Annuum can often have purple flowers, which tend to grow solitary on the nodes but occasionally in clusters. 

Pubescens typically only grow solitary on nodes, and the flowers tend to have white splotch closer to the pollen sack. Also, most pubes are hairy lol.

Now I can't say for certain but I'd put my money on annuums. What color were the seeds, if you remember?

Based on the plant, it looks like annuum or annuum cross like people above have said. The way the plant is growing is how my thais and cayennes have grown, and the slender pepper as well as calyx appears similar. I'd say the purple on the pods is sunburn. 

Annuum can often have purple flowers, which tend to grow solitary on the nodes but occasionally in clusters. 

Pubescens typically only grow solitary on nodes, and the flowers tend to have white splotch closer to the pollen sack. Also, most pubes are hairy lol.

Now I can't say for certain but I'd put my money on annuums. What color were the seeds, if you remember?
Thanks for the reply peppamang,

The branches are completely different than my Thais I have growing tho, the branches are very pliable/flexible..vine like and you could weave them through a trellis without risk of breaking them. I cant see the colouring being sunburn as the pods emerge with purple colouring, not only that but I cover them with shadecloth from about 10-11am on the extreme hot days.

Sorry but I have wrecked my brain trying to think what colour the seeds where and just cant remember.

Cheers

Back