279 replies to this topic

#1 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,774 posts
  • aka:Iron Mike

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

What's up, gang! Hope you don't mind, but I was kinda hoping to set up shop here, with the fermenting crew! Just officially joined THP today, but I've been lurking for quite some time, and you guys gave me enough confidence to start making/bottling my own stuff. Huge thanks in advance to all of you guys! You guys rock.

Anyway, here's a few concoctions I've been working on for the last year or so. All hobby stuff; mostly gifts for friends and family. A lot of these have been bottled up and given away already, but I thought I'd share what I've been working on so far. Here goes.....

My signature sauce ("Original Recipe"):
Douglahs, Chocolate Scotch Bonnets, pineapple, raisins, sweet onion, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, agave nectar, molasses, sea salt, Moscato wine (brine), powdered LB packets (starter)
32A83564-96FE-4A43-83FB-69E9B0498316_zps

Another few-
Red: Smoked red bells, smoked Red MoAs, smoked 7 Pot Lavas, sweet potato, roasted onion, roasted garlic, honey, sea salt, Moscato brine
Green: Blackened tomatillos, blackened Poblanos, jalapeños, and Scotch Bonnets (all green), sweet onion, roasted garlic, pineapple, cilantro, agave nectar, sea salt
12451F9E-E564-4F9E-9AAA-DC79613B86D9_zps
0F0BB154-1CC2-42C3-A80B-6F8E2D7652A7_zps

Hobby labels for those ^:
2AAA851E-FEB9-43F9-AFED-BE11AAD99D24_zps
F9F400BB-426B-44BF-8DA4-F28C043F5D17_zps
217D449F-284A-4E19-9E4B-205ED533FC4E_zps

My latest one (just processed about a week ago, not bottled yet):
Scotch Bonnets, golden raisins, baby carrots, red onion, fresh garlic, yellow bell pepper, yellow mustard, ginger, turbinado sugar, sea salt, ground turmeric, Pinot Grigio brine
4770AB66-DDE2-4C51-A69D-E999966191D5_zps
Looked crazy, hahaha
E0BA704E-9C1C-4DAF-ABDF-11F2798E9FB9_zps

I've got a few more ideas up my sleeve, and a freezer full of pods from last season! Thanks for looking, everybody!

Edited by MikeUSMC, 27 February 2017 - 09:16 PM.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."
-General James "Mad Dog" Mattis (to Iraqi tribal leaders, 2006)

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 hogleg

hogleg

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,170 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

Welcome to THP  :hi:

Great looking sauces! The Toro Verde is right up my alley  :drooling:

#3 randyp

randyp

Smokin' Hot

• Registrant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • aka:randy

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:45 AM

Nice.Welcome to the crew. :party:

#4 karoo

karoo

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:58 AM

Looks fantastic , great labels!

" I wish I was as young as the first time I said, " I'm getting to old for this sh!t." "

#5 stickman

stickman

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

Good job Mike! You've definitely got a feel for the business. :party:

The Hot Pepper... If self-immolation is your goal... we're here to help! Posted Image

#6 Scoville DeVille

Scoville DeVille

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 17,262 posts
  • aka:Sofa King
  • Location:Middle of the top of the upper left corner of the lower 48
  • (x7)

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

Nice man! That's a helluva nice entrance to THP!

And I love your Travertine Backsplash.

#7 Valleyman

Valleyman

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

Look awesome! I may have to "borrow" some of your culinary combos. I'm digging the mustard sauce. I have a yellow pepper ferment a couple years old and may break it out and go into the lab after being inspired with your post.

#8 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

Go for it, man! This stuff is awesome. I'm still bouncing ideas around for a name and a label idea for that one. Let me know if you want the exact measurements

Thanks for the welcome, everybody!

Edited by MikeUSMC, 28 February 2017 - 05:56 PM.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."

#9 mrbill

mrbill

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

very nice!

#10 Sprawlaholic

Sprawlaholic

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

Looking good, bro.  Why the lettuce (cabbage?) leaves  on top of the peppers?

#11 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

Thanks, man! Yup, cabbage leaves. They act as a weight to keep the mash submerged under the brine in an anaerobic environment (oxygen-free; which is what you're aiming for in fermenting). It might be unnecessary since I'm using airlocks, but I've also read (probably somewhere here on THP) that they also have natural antibacterial properties that'll help deter yeast/mold from forming. I'm about 10 ferments in and no yeast yet, knock on wood!

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I learned everything I know about fermenting from following the THP fermenting "vets," haha

Edited by MikeUSMC, 01 March 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#12 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 14,592 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

:welcome: to thp!

You are on track with the cabbage leaves. Those ferments are very interesting. Edit...never mind! Did my own spellcheck...😉

Have Fun!!!
SL

Edited by salsalady, 01 March 2017 - 08:44 PM.

PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#13 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

:welcome: to thp!

Those ferments are very interesting.

Have Fun!!!
SL

Thanks Ann! Yeah, that mustard one looked funky as hell in the jar, but boy, is it tasty!

#14 stickman

stickman

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

Thanks, man! Yup, cabbage leaves. They act as a weight to keep the mash submerged under the brine in an anaerobic environment (oxygen-free; which is what you're aiming for in fermenting). It might be unnecessary since I'm using airlocks, but I've also read (probably somewhere here on THP) that they also have natural antibacterial properties that'll help deter yeast/mold from forming. I'm about 10 ferments in and no yeast yet, knock on wood!

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I learned everything I know about fermenting from following the THP fermenting "vets," haha

+1 on that... I learned to use cabbage leaves like that when making kimchi. As a side note Mike, Kimchi juice is a great way to innoculate ferments and add a bit more flavor.

The Hot Pepper... If self-immolation is your goal... we're here to help! Posted Image

#15 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

Yup. Never tried kimchi "juice," but I've tried whey from yogurt/sour cream, and kraut "juice." So far, my favorite starter are the powdered probiotics packets. They work like a charm, and haven't failed me yet :)

#16 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

Ok, going a little off the rails here now. We'll see what happens...

Blueberry/Pineapple Chipotle ferment:

-Blueberries
-pineapple
-dried chipotle, Ancho, and Pasilla Negro chiles (rehydrated in Moscato wine)
-Cappuccino Scotch Bonnets
-golden raisins
-sweet potato (binder/thickener)
-sweet onion
-fresh garlic
-brown sugar
-fresh ginger root
-ground cumin*
-splash of molasses
-black Hawaiian salt
-Moscato wine brine
-probiotic powder starter

10C4C8BA-6EE9-40D8-9685-0376D9689603_zps

Not exactly the color I was looking for (too brown). I was really aiming for something more purple. I'll probably end up adding more blueberries at final processing time. They're acidic enough that they shouldn't raise the pH, and hopefully they'll help with the color and flavor. Those dried chiles smelled strrroooooooooonnnnng after sitting in that wine :)

*The cumin really got away from me on this one, and I had a little "mishap." Hope I didn't ruin it. Another reason I'll add more blueberries at the end. A little bit of cumin goes a long way. And too much is...well, too much

Edited by MikeUSMC, 04 March 2017 - 06:50 PM.

#17 stickman

stickman

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

Yeah... a lot of developing sauces is trial and error. All you can do is keep an open mind and good records so you don't repeat the same mistakes. Keep on plugging Mike!

#18 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

Scotch Bonnets, golden raisins, baby carrots, red onion, fresh garlic, yellow bell pepper, yellow mustard, ginger, turbinado sugar, sea salt, ground turmeric, Pinot Grigio brine
4770AB66-DDE2-4C51-A69D-E999966191D5_zps
E0BA704E-9C1C-4DAF-ABDF-11F2798E9FB9_zps

Yeah, I just quoted myself; that doesn't count as "double posting a pic," does it? ;)

Anyway, I think I came up with a pretty decent HOBBY label for the Bajan ferment I bottled up a few weeks ago. Was hoping to get the gang's thoughts on it. Again, this is ONLY A HOBBY LABEL, so it's not that critical. Just curious to see what you guys/gals think. Thoughts? Suggestions? Anything you'd change? Thanks in advance!
BD0DBA6D-9D45-4D0E-908A-9E00F2E24661_zps

Some of the Bajan lingo references might be pretty obscure, but I think they're pretty easy to decipher if you think about it for a minute. Just saying them out loud in a Caribbean accent sounds pretty funny to me. Especially being a white Irish dude with red hair, haha

Here's the link to where I got the phrases:
http://barbados.gssi...ajan_words.html

Edited by MikeUSMC, 22 March 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#19 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

Or this one instead?
DB78C6FC-47F2-4A03-BC0A-A815351645D9_zps

I switched around the style and color of the fonts (and shadows) of the text on the sides. I think the yellow was getting lost in the sand in the first one. I liked the first font, but changing it to blue still looked blurry. I really want to keep the colors the same as the colors of the flag of Barbados (like the fingerprint), but there's a dark blue line right where the ocean meets the sky that's right in my way, haha. It's really hard to work around that. I also changed the ingredients to one per line, vs. a running list.

#20 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

I see you, snooping around over here, HM01..... ;) :rofl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests