#261 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts
  • aka:Iron Mike

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:22 PM

How did the Toro Verde come out Mike?

Pretty good, Dru, thanks! It smells very "roasty" upfront, with the poblanos, garlic, and onion on the nose. Tasting it straight off the spoon, there's just a hint of sweetness (but the pineapple flavor is hidden), followed by the dominant flavor of roasted (and tart) tomatillos, with just a kiss of citrus and lime flavor (Scotch Bonnets too) on the very back end. Not trying to "toot my own horn" or anything, but I'm very pleased with this recipe. I think it's a very well balanced sauce. Hogleg told me that he can be very critical of green, "salsa verde style" sauces, and he said he'd put this up there among the best he's ever had! :blush: ;) :rofl:

It's pretty "tame" in the heat department, probably settling in as a low-end medium heat, making it pretty "family friendly" too. I'll get a bottle out to you soon, brother! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. All I ask in return, is that you please ignore my atrocious shrink banding skills :lol: It's just one of those things I don't have the patience for ;)

It's got a great color.  :)

Thanks! It's called "Baby Shit" green ;)
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."
-General James "Mad Dog" Mattis (to Iraqi tribal leaders, 2006)

#262 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,239 posts
  • aka:Bhuthead Andy

Posted 13 December 2018 - 05:10 AM

I hit one side then the other then the two remaining sides, all just enough to get it to grasp the bottle. Then I go around and try to smooth it out. You can't get them too hot around the perforations, or right below the cap.

How big is your heat gun? I use my wife's little one she had for crafts.

It is a challenge still, but I know you complimented me on my shrink wrap skills lol.

I need to make a youtube video next time

#263 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:23 AM

Good to know, Walchit, thanks. One of these days, I've really got to carve out a chunk of time and just practice, practice, practice. I've tried on both high and low heat, close up and far away, etc. Tried rotating the bottle as I go, tried rotating the heat gun (keeping the bottle stationary). I just suck at it, lol. Sounds like you do a "12, 6, 3, 9 o'clock" approach. Maybe I'll give that a try, instead of starting in one spot and working my way around 360*. I'll get there eventually. I'm starting to wonder if it's the quality of the bands I'm using too. I use the ones from Fillmore Container, but I'm wondering if maybe a different brand (something thicker) might be easier for me

How big is your heat gun?

Dunno. Average? Overkill? ;)
IMG_7688.JPG

Hahaha, nah. I've got this one. Got it at Lowe's for about $20 last year. Before that, I was using my wife's hair dryer. It has two settings; 750* and 1100*F
IMG_7687.JPG
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."

#264 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:58 AM

Here's the one I use. I would keep the one you have further away probably.

20181213_055152.jpg

Looks like they are about 40 on Amazon. Saw some cheaper ones too, but this is the one I use so I can't recommend anything else.

https://www.amazon.c...A2PL&ref=plSrch

I used one like yours when we would put this heat tape stuff on the roofs of sunrooms. I remember it being really hot.

#265 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:00 AM

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B06Y3X3D72

Maybe one of these would help you out too

#266 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:08 AM

This one went about 60 days
IMG_7988.JPG

pH was good, but the consistency was a little thick after blending, so I thinned it out a little with some rice vinegar and a little water
IMG_7993.JPG

Get it up to (past) safe bottling temp
IMG_7994.JPG

Dressed to kill ;)
IMG_7996.JPG

:cheers:

Edited by MikeUSMC, 11 January 2019 - 09:09 AM.

#267 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:19 AM

Your shrink wrap isn't bad, is this a lower heat batch than the one you sent me? I thought I remembered you saying that last batch had hotter peppers

#268 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

Thanks, Andy! I tried to take my time on the shrink bands this time lol. Still a work in progress ;)

Yes, this is a lower heat batch. Just Scotch Bonnets and yellow bell peppers. No Daisy Cutters this time :)

#269 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

Nice! I'm about to work on a label today

#270 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:03 PM

It gine leff yuh wid da buss mout! Lol

#271 Ghost Pepper Revolution

Ghost Pepper Revolution

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • aka:Bobby bouchée

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:23 PM

Sauces look good, wonder if they taste as good 😉👻
Put down the pot and pick up the pod

#272 PtMD989

PtMD989

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:20 AM

The color looks great on your sauce.
Would this work for your shrink wrap woes? Maybe dipping try dipping them in boiling or hot water? I’ve never shrink wrapped anything so I don’t know how it might workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#273 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:57 AM

What I've noticed in my limited experience bottling hot sauce (and it's something you probably already do) is to constantly turn the bottle as you're using the heat gun so the shrink wrap shrinks evenly.

#274 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

Maybe dipping try dipping them in boiling or hot water?

Yeah, man. That's how I used to do it before I got the heat gun. I can't say that it's ever happened to me before, but there IS a possibility of water droplets getting trapped and sealed under the shrink band, which could eventually lead to mold growing (?) 🤢

It gine leff yuh wid da buss mout! Lol

Yah be loffin' mon, but I be tellin' yah... it gine! IT GINE!!! Gine leff yah mout oll kina buss up! :rofl:

Sauces look good, wonder if they taste as good 😉👻

Thanks, man! Here's what the masses have been saying about them:

http://thehotpepper....t-sauce-review/

http://thehotpepper....n-pepper-sauce/

🤷🏻‍♂️ 😉

#275 PtMD989

PtMD989

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:29 AM

I never thought about water getting trapped under the wrap.
I learned something new today

#276 Genetikx

Genetikx

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:28 PM

What's up Mike? Glad to see you're still pumping out the bajan mon.

I've heard the bird flu conspiracies about water under the shrink wrap too but here's food for thought...If you bottle hot, how long is that bottle hot? Mine stay hot and then warm for probably 2-3 hours. My cash is on evaporation, especially if you give the bottles a good shake to get the majority out. I just don't see the mold theory unless you've got other filthy things going on around those bottles lol

#277 Maverick27

Maverick27

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:17 AM

My mouth is salivating...wish i could taste 'em !!  :rolleyes:

#278 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:17 AM

I thought about trying to put the shrink bands on right before I invert the bottle and see if they would shrink down on their own. That would save a step lol

#279 PtMD989

PtMD989

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:02 PM

Hey Mike, or anyone else,I’ve got a question for you. I recently got a elcheepo PH tester that came with powders for calibration. Do you know if there’s a shelf life for the mixed up calibration solutions?

Edited by PtMD989, 21 March 2019 - 06:03 PM.

#280 emanphoto

emanphoto

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:00 AM

I took two of my new 180ml sauce bottles and keep the solutions in there.  Google will tell you the rest.  Guess mine have gone off. :(

Past the 3-6 month time limit one could do this.  https://scienceinhyd...alibration.html

Or just check this.  ph calibration solution diy

Hey Mike, or anyone else,I’ve got a question for you. I recently got a elcheepo PH tester that came with powders for calibration. Do you know if there’s a shelf life for the mixed up calibration solutions?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests