• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Poll. Propane vs. Charcoal what say you and why.

Sorry but I have no vote for the poll. I use a propane grill for quick cooks. When I use the smoker I burn some charcoal but mostly red oak and pecan.

I voted charcoal because I prefer the flavor that burning wood imparts to food.  No issue with gas grills though - for time/money and ease of use they can't be beat.  

Charcoal. I enjoy the process of lighting the chimney, prepping while the coals ignite, and the flavor.

I will use propane to be quick for something like a chicken breast but I prefer not to.

I use both and also wood, a majority of time its just propane as there is no time involved..... just flip the burners and you're cooking.  If I can plan far enough ahead of course it will be charcoal or wood. 

I am all about charcoal when I have time and weather on my side....also depends on what I am cooking....if I am cooking for myself ...I am not going to spend an hour getting charcoal all fired up to cook a couple burgers......when it s 40 below out its gasser time and I cook from the kitchen window.....When I am cooking steak it will always be on charcoal regardless of the weather.......all being said....it has to be pretty crappy out for me to gas it.

This is a good topic. I voted charcoal but it's much more complicated than that.
My overall preference is seasoned mesquite or other local hardwoods but it's getting harder to come by in large amounts, charcoal is next best thing.

I usually get a new propane rig every 3-4 years. The burners last about a year and the cost of replacement burners are not much different than a new grill so then I yank them out and start burning charcoal. Once in a while I get my hands on real wood and will burn that but mesquite burns hot and if/when I'm not careful enough I end up warping and/or melting my grill and eventually need a new setup. Someday I'll just build me a stone grilling pit but that day hasn't come yet.

Lump charcoal for grilling .

I do a lot of winter grilling and winter grilling with propane just sucks. the cold temps mean lowered output pressure from the tank, lower flame/heat. When outside temps are good, even a high output propane burner can't touch the radiant infrared output of lump, unless you get into really high end infrared sear burner units.

As already said by so many on here, charcoal is my preference when i have the time and if the weather is decent. If it is the weekend i try and use charcoal no matter what unless it's terrible weather and during the week it will usually be gas. Like a few others have said though it depends on what it is, burgers and steaks definitely charcoal if possible, chicken and such gas doesn't make much of a difference to me. Smoking will always be charcoal with some flavored wood chunks. 

hqdefault%201.jpg

Back