T8 Flourescent grow

Hello to all chilliheads!

This is my first post/topic. I have a few questions regarding my T8 flourescent grow. I have 5 48" shoplights with 10 T8 32w 6100k bulbs in my basement right now. I've started 5 plants each of 12 different varieties. Is this a sufficient amount of light for 60 plants? Is there any way to grow pepper plants to full maturity under flourescents?

Things are going fairly well aside from a couple plants with yellow and curled leaves. I think as a result of overwatering... I will be posting some pics tonight. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated so I can make 2017 my best grow year yet.

So a metal halide or hps? Or could I go with LEDs? The plan is to put them out in the garden and in pots this spring/summer. I was just asking for the sake of asking.

Indoors is great for starting your plants you have enough light for 10 trays.. so plenty of room for 60 starter plants.
Most people start them in 3.5 inch pots which are 18 pots to a tray. so 180 pots max
Or you can go for bigger pots like half gallon or something if you prefer.

For mature plants you can't beat the sun. much better to just find space and plant them outside.

mature plants can get quite large. think 2 plant per 2 shoplight. or 4 plants for 1 hps. starts getting expensive quickly. 
for 60 mature plants you would want something like a 200-300 sq ft room with 15 hps lights... $_$

Panterafan83 said:
So a metal halide or hps? Or could I go with LEDs? The plan is to put them out in the garden and in pots this spring/summer. I was just asking for the sake of asking.
what you have now will get them , till they go out     depending on when you start them , may need another fixture ,     :party:

I run a mix of 6 48 inch t-8 and t-12 plant and aquarium bulbs...these will get my plants from germination until 6-8 inches in height....I let the lights hoover just 2 inches above my plants....fan on during all my light time.
I start in Feb and plants stay under my lights until April...then out into my portable greenhouse to start the hardening process 1st week of May.... depending on the temp...I usually can't plant till May 24. weekend.....sometimes the plants get a little big before I can take them out....But that's why I like to Top them.

I have never had a problem with 40-50 solo cups on a heating mat under those lights.
This is just my method which has worked for me year after year........ymmv.

Thank you for the info sizzle lips! Do you think I should run a couple bulbs nearer the 2100k spectrum along with the 6100k bulbs that I run? I know some people like to run both to give the plants a wider spectrum...

Panterafan83 said:
Thank you for the info sizzle lips! Do you think I should run a couple bulbs nearer the 2100k spectrum along with the 6100k bulbs that I run? I know some people like to run both to give the plants a wider spectrum...

Thats totally up to you.....I just keep using what works for me....and like I said.....all my bulbs are Sylvania Gro Lux 40 watt T-12 wide spectrum.
Only one of my three fixtures has t-8 bulbs ...Im just using them till they die ...my replacement bulbs will be the t-12 gro lux.

Thanks to all for welcoming me to the site!

I just encountered a problem with a few of the super hot transplants. I'm germinating my seeds with a Park Bio-dome chamber and transplanting into 20 oz. plastic cups with an organic soil consisting of coir, compost, and perlite.

Yesterday I transplanted 3 Scorpions, 2 Chocolate Bhuts and 1 Reaper from the germ chamber into plastic cups and the top 2 sets of leaves are turning yellow and starting to curl up. Did I transplant them too early, is it possibly a result of overwatering, or could it be a nute deficiency?

I believe you already have your answer, but I manage to grow mine from seedling to 4 to 6 inches under six-lamp T5 HO industrial highbay fixtures, 6500K lamps, 50 plants in 3 inch pots per fixture.

Panterafan83 said:
Thanks to all for welcoming me to the site!

I just encountered a problem with a few of the super hot transplants. I'm germinating my seeds with a Park Bio-dome chamber and transplanting into 20 oz. plastic cups with an organic soil consisting of coir, compost, and perlite.

Yesterday I transplanted 3 Scorpions, 2 Chocolate Bhuts and 1 Reaper from the germ chamber into plastic cups and the top 2 sets of leaves are turning yellow and starting to curl up. Did I transplant them too early, is it possibly a result of overwatering, or could it be a nute deficiency?
     Welcome to the house, Panter.I run alt 6500k and I think 4100k (4ft) t8 for my grow.I am just getting them ready for plant out in May in Iowa.I think they do a good job.As others said, keep the lights close but not touching plants.
   Your plant problem is "NOT" from transplanting, unless you were careless and beat the crap out of them when moving to the cups, Check moisture or as you said ferts.

s-l300_zps6w9rfcd2.jpg

Back