• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Greenhouse Advice?

So, I am looking into getting another greenhouse (I already have a very small one, not too good) and need some advice.

a) Where can I buy cheap small greenhouses?

b) Is there anything important I should consider when buying a greenhouse?

Thanks for your help - TBG

EDIT-
Looking to use greenhouse to keep chillies from colder weather when not inside

Depends what the weather is like in your region.... if it is extremely hot you need to consider diffused shielding and also proper ventilation.  On an 80F day my greenhouse easily reaches 100-105F 

Buzzman19 said:
Depends what the weather is like in your region.... if it is extremely hot you need to consider diffused shielding and also proper ventilation.  On an 80F day my greenhouse easily reaches 100-105F 

Haha, I live in one of the coolest places in Australia, so I don't think that will be a problem... Max temp here is about 35-37C. Thanks anyway though :)

start with a poly tunnel bro... lots of support online, lots of plans, lots of help and advice... and they are cheaper than pretty much anything.

id start with the ag university manuals. they will cover optimal orientation etc... then try and figure out a budget, then try and find some supplies.

most poly tunnels can simply be staked into the ground with cheap helical anchors... but if you have nutty wind loads then you might have to anchor into concrete footings.

you can buy kits online... problem is if you are not close to an area with lots of greenhouse cultivation, or close to a major shipping nexus,  the freight will cost too much.

but if you are not handy... or inclined to swing a hammer or turn a wrench, a poly tunnel is probably not right for you.

queequeg152 said:
start with a poly tunnel bro... lots of support online, lots of plans, lots of help and advice... and they are cheaper than pretty much anything.

id start with the ag university manuals. they will cover optimal orientation etc... then try and figure out a budget, then try and find some supplies.

most poly tunnels can simply be staked into the ground with cheap helical anchors... but if you have nutty wind loads then you might have to anchor into concrete footings.

you can buy kits online... problem is if you are not close to an area with lots of greenhouse cultivation, or close to a major shipping nexus,  the freight will cost too much.

but if you are not handy... or inclined to swing a hammer or turn a wrench, a poly tunnel is probably not right for you.

Thank you very much! Just did a quick look at some and I think that this could work really well. Would you recommend DIY or wholesale? I don't mind a bit of handywork, my wallet is the main concern for me (its a bit too small XD)

personally i would build it myself... but i build everything myself.

the nice thing about poly tunnels, like i said earlier, is the tremendous amount of info available online.

i think 1" - 1-1/4"  diameter EMT conduit can be used for these smaller poly tunnels... you just need to build a bending jig.

you can buy a jig like this one here...
or you can build one yourself like this one here.

1980-01-01+00.02.20.jpg

smaller diameter tubing is just not thick enough and not strong enough.

i would buy the connectors though. trying to make the connectors yourself will take way to much time to justify.

like these.

https://www.atlasgreenhouse.com/category/cross-connectors/

depending on how windy it is where you are, you may or may not want cross bracing on the gables... to make these bracing pieces, just take a section of EMT and hammer the ends flat, and run a bolt through and into one of the hoop legs.

Back