• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Guano Fertilizers

8049ba46ac3343561e5b31f118a75569.jpg

Anyone have any luck using guano grow crazy from Hydrofarm? It's water soluble and the rating is 5-1-1, giving it a go this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Just to be contrary...   ;)

Haven't tried that brand, but am a big fan of Bat Crap in general.  Last summer I 'harvested' some fresh pellets from under the local bridge.  The plants really liked it, responding much better than to any of the 'chemical' ferts I've tried.  I think it's probably the assorted micronutrients that make the difference.

Since you've already bought it... enjoy!

I find the expense always a deterrent for me, I grow approx 150-200 plants a years so these products are way ti expensive for me.  One thing I have noticed when using Organic ferts is you have to be more patient for redults, people are so used to immediate results with these High NPK ferts that they are dissapointed when using organics as it takes much longer to see results.  

I do use Organic ferts myself, but generally I buy products that are much more affordable.  I always tend to fertilize with the Organic much more than is suggested on the package.  Once plant has reached full height I will supplement with Foliar feedings using a High Phosphorous fert like 5/30/5 mind you I am just spraying the leaves with this and not drenching the roots.  But I get crazy production using this method. 

cheers

Buzzman19 said:
I find the expense always a deterrent for me, I grow approx 150-200 plants a years so these products are way ti expensive for me.  One thing I have noticed when using Organic ferts is you have to be more patient for redults, people are so used to immediate results with these High NPK ferts that they are dissapointed when using organics as it takes much longer to see results.  

I do use Organic ferts myself, but generally I buy products that are much more affordable.  I always tend to fertilize with the Organic much more than is suggested on the package.  Once plant has reached full height I will supplement with Foliar feedings using a High Phosphorous fert like 5/30/5 mind you I am just spraying the leaves with this and not drenching the roots.  But I get crazy production using this method. 

cheers
I'm doing a small grow but I could see that it would be very pricey at your volume. Pretty cool about the high P. I bought some bone meal but it's only rated around 12P, 30 is awesome! I'm not going to be here next year but my sister is building a bat house this summer at her place to farm organic fert and sourcing local rabbit manure which is supposedly pretty good.

What is the name of that high P fert you use?

CAPCOM said:
No, I have used bat guano before but didn't notice a huge benefit.
Probably better if used in tea. I have heard seabird guano is better anyway.
Going to have to check out Seabird guano!

Geonerd said:
Just to be contrary...   ;)

Haven't tried that brand, but am a big fan of Bat Crap in general.  Last summer I 'harvested' some fresh pellets from under the local bridge.  The plants really liked it, responding much better than to any of the 'chemical' ferts I've tried.  I think it's probably the assorted micronutrients that make the difference.

Since you've already bought it... enjoy!
That's what I'm thinking, plants are going to get a whole lot more trace elements than a synthetic. Good stuff!

CAPCOM said:
most bat guano is really cockroach guano.
Interesting, might give the company a call and ask. Whatever it is I was making tea out of it last night and had to get a dust mask as the ammonia smell was overpowering. I took it as a good sign though.

HostileBuddha said:
I'm doing a small grow but I could see that it would be very pricey at your volume. Pretty cool about the high P. I bought some bone meal but it's only rated around 12P, 30 is awesome! I'm not going to be here next year but my sister is building a bat house this summer at her place to farm organic fert and sourcing local rabbit manure which is supposedly pretty good.

What is the name of that high P fert you use?

I buy different types every year, remember I am only using this as a Foliar Feeding as you "dont" want to root drench with such a high phosphurous fertilizer and during peak grow season I will do a foliar feeding once a week. 

I think the product I used last year was Bloom Plus which has insane numbers, 10/54/10 or something like that.  I generally prefer something around 20-30 Phos but it was on sale and I am all about cost. 

Like I said, I use Organic Fertilizers on my plants until they reach full height  so their root structure and overall growth is very healthy.  Its just I never quite got the production I wanted when "just using" organics.  3 Years ago I used Rabbit Poop and my plants were massive, biggest I ever grew but chili production wasnt so great.  Using this method I can get 3 to 4 rounds of harvest from each plant picking it clean and then start the process over. 

cheers

P.S.

I forgot to add that I grow 70% of my peppers in 5 Gallon Buckets.

Buzzman19 said:

I buy different types every year, remember I am only using this as a Foliar Feeding as you "dont" want to root drench with such a high phosphurous fertilizer and during peak grow season I will do a foliar feeding once a week. 

I think the product I used last year was Bloom Plus which has insane numbers, 10/54/10 or something like that.  I generally prefer something around 20-30 Phos but it was on sale and I am all about cost. 

Like I said, I use Organic Fertilizers on my plants until they reach full height  so their root structure and overall growth is very healthy.  Its just I never quite got the production I wanted when "just using" organics.  3 Years ago I used Rabbit Poop and my plants were massive, biggest I ever grew but chili production wasnt so great.  Using this method I can get 3 to 4 rounds of harvest from each plant picking it clean and then start the process over. 

cheers

P.S.

Thanks Buzzman!

I always add a little bat guano into my container soil to boost micro nutrients. I think it's a great idea, but wouldn't bother with making a tea. For a garden plot, I agree, it would be too expensive.

Buzzman19 said:

P.S.

I've actually never grown directly in the ground. I live in Florida so we often have inclemete weather and I need to bring the plants into my car port or inclosed veranda.

IMO 5 gallon containers is the perfect size to allow good root growth and then let the plant put its energy into growing upward and blooming.

Here is a successful container grow back in 2011 (heavy pruning as well):

d8bfcd0f2f7c5fdc88f4cae77835d89c.jpg

HostileBuddha said:
I've actually never grown directly in the ground. I live in Florida so we often have inclemete weather and I need to bring the plants into my car port or inclosed veranda.

IMO 5 gallon containers is the perfect size to allow good root growth and then let the plant put its energy into growing upward and blooming.

Here is a successful container grow back in 2011 (heavy pruning as well):

d8bfcd0f2f7c5fdc88f4cae77835d89c.jpg

Once I get my plants set I dont move them unless of emergency like you stated.  By end of season nearly all my plants roots in 5 gallon buckets have reached bottom of bucket and grown into ground. 

Your plants look great, well done! 

Buzzman19 said:

Once I get my plants set I dont move them unless of emergency like you stated.  By end of season nearly all my plants roots in 5 gallon buckets have reached bottom of bucket and grown into ground. 

Your plants look great, well done! 

Same here, you know you have healthy plants when you get roots growing out the drainage holes. That year I had a fire ant infestation. It was bad, would water the plants and a thousand ants would pour out. I can't remember exactly how I got rid of them, I think I used a peppermint essential oil and cayenne "tea."

Powelly said:
Just for the record, high P fertilizer won't really do much

Looking at the photo above, this stuff looks to be 5-1-1, presumably from insect eating bats.  This should drive the plants wild.
I'd agree that the 1-10-1 stuff pooped by fruit eating bats probably isn't well balanced for peppers, although the micro-nutrients won't hurt.

If anyone is interested, I emailed Hydrofarm inquiring about their Grow Crazy bat guano and whether it's genuine or insect guano and got a response a couple days later. They seem pretty sincere. Here it is:
b447963583b92633a65cb741245531e9.jpg

Back