• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I have sprouts

Some of my seeds have sprouted. My question is should I separate them from the ones that have not sprouted, so I could keep a humidity dome on those?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Be very careful leaving a humidity dome on with sprouts. Very thin line from helping to hurting. I killed a bunch of mine one year not keeping an eye on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'll usually pull the sprouts and put them into solo cups once they've got their first set of true leaves and/or if they're touching the top of the dome.  

As soon as I see sprouts I pull the dome and park it till next year......I had two seeds in each of a 72 cell tray and every seed but three made it.......I guess it depends on how viable your seed stock is and your starting methods of germination....I pre soaked for a night before planting.....used a heat mat as well.
But like I said when I see sprouts the dome is gone and the others soon come a looking for their buddies.

I usually remove the cover when the first sprouts appear. By this stage, I water them very lightly. Don't want to drown the seeds, but don't want them to dry out either. Doing this, I usually get 80% germination all up, all factors included.So not too bad... Just keep an eye on them either way.

I remove my dome once they sprout.  Unless they have a helmet head, in which case I leave the dome on for another day or so.  And use a toothpick to get a little condensation off the sides of the dome, and stick a water droplet on the husk to hang there and put dome back on.  It usually shucks the husk within a day, then bye bye dome.

Back