• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Transplant temp!

I have a light packed with peppers inside that I started a few months ago. Looking to free up some space and start some more if I can.

is 50+ degrees safe enough to move them outside? I figure thats far from frost temp... anyone have any success with early transplants?

Its mostly jalapenos, habs, bonnets, and a few others.

I know most of my plants survived ok until frost came last season but those are full grown.

seussiii said:
I have a light packed with peppers inside that I started a few months ago. Looking to free up some space and start some more if I can.

is 50+ degrees safe enough to move them outside? I figure thats far from frost temp... anyone have any success with early transplants?

50+F fine.... Don't forget hardening off!> https://www.google.com/search?q=hardening+off+hot+peppers&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS725US725&oq=hardening+off+pepper&aqs=chrome.4.0j69i57j0l3.12390j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I wouldn't grow them any less than 50. You'll be pushing to get them to grow much, especially fruit, the closer you get to 50. Below that, and the plants can't handle it very well.

+100 hardening off, very important and crucial.

This is from a market gardening handbook.
crop%20optimum%20temp%20chart.jpg

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
I wouldn't grow them any less than 50. You'll be pushing to get them to grow much, especially fruit, the closer you get to 50. Below that, and the plants can't handle it very well.

+100 hardening off, very important and crucial.
Yea im not so much looking for or expecting growth lol. I just need to free up some room under the indoor lights so I can start some more. We aren't far from 60+ min temps here. 

Jubnat said:
How is it still 50° in Florida?

That seems crazy
I am up in zone 9a on the panhandle. Our last coldish day should be next week when it dips down to mid/low 40s for a night or 2 but after that its looking like 55/60+ going forward.

I'm going to skip on putting out the habs and transplant the jalapenos. I have about a dozen of those....the habs id think would have a tough time until 60+

we'll see... ill test the waters.

thanks guys!

Here in northern Illinois we get temps sometimes for extented periods in the 100° plus range that the plants must endure and I have also had brown morugas overcome several good frosts and survive on the other end of the themometer. These examples are the extremes that super hot peppers plants can survive in for short periods of time. Anything in between is kinda a cakewalk.

Back