• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Overwintering Ghost Pepper - Black Leaves?

Hello Hot Pepper Forum. I'm excited to get back into growing chillies after some time. I was wondering if anybody could help identify an issue I am having with a Ghost Pepper plant I am overwintering.

The Problem: Black leaves and leaf tips. This is not the same as dying or withering of leaves as they still appear crisp and somewhat healthy. Other sections of the plant have random discoloration and leaves appear bumpy and yellow green with black veins(not sure what they're called).

Suspected Issue: My roommate and I got a little excited with some hydro nutes from Zeus and fed it a few times a few months ago. It seemed to go downhill from their as this is a soil grow. We also greatly diluted the nutes before applying. Also using an LED light 138 Watt. Seems to do ok but plant shows definite signs of stretching.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Once I remember how to post pictures I will.

Thanks all!

Pics would definitely help.  I've never seen black leaves, but if you think it's an over fert issue, I'd recommend soaking the soil completely through (lots of water) several times to wash out some of the nutes.

Mike

Some of my seedlings look black in spots but I have been told it is from the use of the lights rather than pure beautiful sunlight. I am using a t5 set, dual bulb, actually set up for coral but is doing very well I think. Heres a couple pics to see if it looks similar to the symptoms your plant is having.

Ghost pepper leaves (veins appear purple/black)
IMG_20170310_142339565-900x1600_zpsscjvysln.jpg

Ghost pepper Leaf Stems appear with dark pigment, purple/black
IMG_20170310_142345885-900x1600_zpslkg0bqtp.jpg

Scorpion Pepper leaf stems appear with dark pigment, purple/black
IMG_20170310_142313364-900x1600_zpsdnqozinr.jpg

Is that about what it looks like??

Yes, how did you get that picture on there? Lol.

I was actually just recalling a post i read in the past about something regarding "tanning" of the leaves. I am using an LED thats pretty bright.

Theres also crumpling of the leaves im not sure about, but i guess all in all it looks like it will make and appears generally healthy. Lots of new growth. 

mtski said:
Yes, how did you get that picture on there? Lol.

I was actually just recalling a post i read in the past about something regarding "tanning" of the leaves. I am using an LED thats pretty bright.

Theres also crumpling of the leaves im not sure about, but i guess all in all it looks like it will make and appears generally healthy. Lots of new growth. 

I may be wrong in saying so, But my suggestion would be decreasing the time under the light and proactively spray for mites or pests. I use a spray bottle with about 2 or 3 tablespoons of good dish detergent, 1 tablespoon of epsom salt and 16 oz water. All my stuff is inside at the moment but I have not seen any issues. I spray once a week or every other week. I know most people use just dish soap and water, or a commercial product. I use soap and salt. I figure the soap will drown or inhibit the pests to breath and the salt will dry others out. Again, I may be wrong but that is what I would suggest.

I did effectively treat spider mites with this mixture on my pony tail palms, they are doing great now with no signs of any return of the mites yet. 2 months and counting.

Looks very much like when i had my seedlings too close to the light. I increased the distance between the light and the plant and the new growth looked normal but the darkened leaves never recovered.

Back