• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Bought Pepper Identification

Hi All,

I picked up several plants at the start of my season, and whilst some were labelled (which I'm still going to double check) some I bought in packs of 6 with three varieties (no labels on the individual plants), and the six pack labelled as Reapers, Scorpions and Ghosts. Of these six plants, one hasn't produced all season, but the other five are below. I'm also loading a few photos of my white and red Bhut Jolokia, because the fruit dont look as ghosty as I believe.

Plant 1: Potential Yellow Ghost? I've already harvested one of these that was growing earlier as it became bigger, and the colour below in the second picture is what the fruit becomes - no additional colour change.

Unripe fruit:

VLZYqtV.jpg

Ripening fruit:

EnLRVyA.jpg

On the below plants I harvested one red scorpion like pod, dark green fruit when not ripened (but then I messed the plant order up shifting it around. I believe it's plant 2). The other plants no clue.

Plant 2: Butch T Scorpion?

rHRRkm5.jpg

Plant 3: Butch T Scorpion?

tGW1t4F.jpg

QvsaPrp.jpg

Plant 4: Carolina Reaper?

Ft9pLoQ.jpg

tQMuugl.jpg

Plant 5: Carolina Reaper? (this plant has weird very pale green pods, similar colour to the ghost at the start - different type of reaper?

ebAb4XE.jpg

C17fFKm.jpg

Labelled Plant 1: White Bhut Jolokia - these are quite pale (like the other plant) but go a pearly white when ripe.

HzfxpaE.jpg

Labelled Plant 2: Red Bhut Jolokia - first lot of pods, and the plant was nailed with mites hence the odd spotting and lack of leaves. The unripe pods are a deep green, but more habanero shaped then the other "ghosts"

4505c2G.jpg

One of the reason's I'm trying to get quite specific is that I'm going into a seed train in Australia and want to correctly label and send seeds.

Appreciate any insight you all have.

Cheers,

Sev

Some of your guesses could be correct. It is difficult to confirm because of lighting/focus issues as well as maturity of the pods. I would suggest leaving plants tagged as they are and waiting till harvest and identifying at that point. Then you will have mature pods to taste and confirm much to yourself what you actually have. you have some pods that are looking a lot like habaneros at this point. Thats just how hard it is to make an exact ID at this time.

This is the major dilemma you are faced with when getting seed/plants from a less than reputable source assuming you got them from a grow center, as it sounds.

But here is a shot at it anyway
Plant 1 looks habanero. could be cross.
Plant 2 is a Butch T
Plant 3 could be Butch T but could also very well be a reaper
Plant 4 same as 3
Plant 5 no guess
Labelled plant 1 could be a white bhut
Labelled plant 2 No guess, let it go till mature there will be a huge difference in taste and heat between a habanero and a bhut.

Reactions: Sev
Thanks Capcom, I'll wait till they ripen up and check back to see what the new perspective is.

When you say taste and confirm, do you mean eat the entire pepper? Or just a small piece? Not sure my palette is good enough to separate the heat and flavour - will the ghost be exceptionally hotter then the habanero? I generally just treat most super hots the same and throw a couple in my cooking versus a dozen habanero, so my knowledge isnt exact :)

BTW this is a link to what I thought the ghost was.

https://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/orange-bhut-jolokia/

Sev said:
Thanks Capcom, I'll wait till they ripen up and check back to see what the new perspective is.
When you say taste and confirm, do you mean eat the entire pepper? Or just a small piece? Not sure my palette is good enough to separate the heat and flavour - will the ghost be exceptionally hotter then the habanero? I generally just treat most super hots the same and throw a couple in my cooking versus a dozen habanero, so my knowledge isnt exact :)

BTW this is a link to what I thought the ghost was.

https://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/orange-bhut-jolokia/

No, you will not need to eat the entire pepper. A small piece will be sufficient in making an assertation as to what you have grown.

As I said, your bhuts could very well be as tagged. I grow some chocolate smooth bhuts that are similar in size and general shape to your yellow ones and I also grow some chocolate long bhuts that are more like a devils tongue or maddballz.

Reactions: Sev
Back