•  

The 10th Annual Hot Pepper Awards Winners Announced!

Photo

What on Earth is Required to Sell Online?

driedvegetables onlinesales driedherbs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mrsmorriscooks

mrsmorriscooks

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • aka:mrsmorriscooks

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

Hey There! I recently started making various dry mixes in my home kitchen using a food dehydrator from peppers, herbs and other vegetables grown in my garden. The cottage food laws in Illinois are fairly straightforward, so I believe I could sell my mixes at farmer's markets for a fairly reasonable startup cost. The BIG question that I can't seem to find a 100% answer for online though- is what is required as far as licensing, preparing, etc- in order to sell dried food products online. Any advice?

Thanks!!

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 CAPCOM

CAPCOM

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,644 posts
  • aka:Shaggy

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

I would think that if you have the credentials to sell in this state, then online would not be any different.

We have dozens of members who sell their powders and sauces on line. One should be by shortly.

Oh. btw, welcome to THP.

Edited by CAPCOM, 12 March 2017 - 02:48 PM.

Rev 22:17..............CHILI-CON / CHILE-CON is pending

#3 moruga welder

moruga welder

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,039 posts
  • aka:moruga welder

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

:welcome: !

#4 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 12,834 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

:welcome: mrsmorris~

While cottage industry regs allow the sale of low risk foods like dehydrated items, jam, baked goods etc....at farmers markets (directly to the consumer), there's a big change in what is required once you move to wholesaling and selling online.  The difference seems to be selling directly to the consumer, where they can ask questions of you face to face as opposed to putting your product on a shelf in a store or selling online.

In most states, it's the dept of agriculture that oversees processors, not your local health district that inspects restaurants.  From past experience and a lot of online stories, the local health inspectors don't know squat about food processing.  Dehydrating and selling dry mixes is considered food processing like making and selling hot sauces.

Each state has slightly different regs, but most have pretty good inline information.  Start by researching "food processing" through the dept of AG, read up on it and then contact them.  They have regional inspectors and just having a conversation with the inspector for your area will probably tell you 99% of what is needed to become a licensed processor. 

After that, remember insurance, proper business licensing (don't need a corporation or even an LLC to start...),

and when the inspector tells you you need a commercial kitchen....don't panic!  There are a TON of commercial kitchen options available if you think outside the box.  A restaurant after hours, community center, shared use incubator kitchen, Grange/Elks/Masonic/VFW lodges, church, firehall....anything that has a kitchen could be an option.

Good Luck with your Venture! 

Keep us posted, we're here to help~

salsalady   

PureEvilProducts

The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"

PepperPeopleRock! 

#5 sicman

sicman

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 21,443 posts
  • aka:siccy..aka papa sic..

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

What she said.

#6 sicman

sicman

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 21,443 posts
  • aka:siccy..aka papa sic..

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

And welcome.

#7 Grass Snake

Grass Snake

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

Hi and welcome.

Personally, I'll eat a pig's ass if they cook it right.   -CB4-

#8 mrsmorriscooks

mrsmorriscooks

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • aka:mrsmorriscooks

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

REALLY appreciate the advice on where to start, I was definitely looking primarily at health department related resources and getting nowhere. Thank you SO much everyone for being so welcoming. Seems like a great bunch, i'm sure i'll have more questions in the coming days. Love seeing successful small business owners  as a group. Much appreciated! 

#9 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 39,637 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

:welcome:

:cheers:

#10 CAPCOM

CAPCOM

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,644 posts
  • aka:Shaggy

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

What if anything are you growing this year in regards to heat?

I am right next door so to speak, if you are interested in anything pepper related you haven't tried.

Rev 22:17..............CHILI-CON / CHILE-CON is pending

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests