• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Temp to germ tomatos

mine germinate at room temps, 65-70F. with nothing but T8's over top of them. i planted last sunday and today about half have popped.

Hey,

so do like tomato seedlings.....  Do they not like being on a heat mat and being under a light?  Every tomato seedling that germed kinda got burnt on me.  Gotta start all over.  Perhaps I need to take off of heat mat once they pop?  I also did not use a plastic humidity lid so the seedlings were directly exposed to the lights...

bpiela said:
Hey,

so do like tomato seedlings.....  Do they not like being on a heat mat and being under a light?  Every tomato seedling that germed kinda got burnt on me.  Gotta start all over.  Perhaps I need to take off of heat mat once they pop?  I also did not use a plastic humidity lid so the seedlings were directly exposed to the lights...

I have not had any issue with tomatoes germinating at room temperature.  Being that they are cooler weather plants, and all.  The idea of a heat mat for tomatoes is a completely foreign concept to me...
You don't need a humidity dome, and if your plants start under light, they'll be fine under it.  Unless you get it too close, and it's hot.

Rairdog said:
My go to veg germ temp chart...scroll down to second chart

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

According to that chart, the optimal germination time@temp is 6 days at 77 degrees farenheit.  That's pretty much room temperature, in a normal household. (give or take a few degrees)
Interestingly enough, I've never been a believer in heat mats for peppers.  And wouldn't you know, that chart also suggest 77 degrees, for a period of 8 days for optimal germination.  Obviously, this can't be every type of pepper under the sun, but I've always had success, with every type of pepper I've ever planted, at room temperature. (I keep my house at 78-80 degrees all year round)

i sowed seeds on March 13. (temperature 82F)    after 13 days.   here are my Tiny Tim tomato, 100s & 1000s tomato and eggplants (long green).

33276181490_6dfdd80e2a_b.jpg

Back